1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can laymen preside over church ordinances?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Zenas, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Ann, I've been thinking about this ever since you posted it several days ago and of course you are correct. However, ordination is more than this. It appears to involve the transmission of grace through laying on of hands. If it doesn't, then Paul was great exaggerating in 1 Timothy 4:14,
    and in 2 Timothy 1:6,
    Doesn't this dovetail with 1 Corinthians 4:1, which has already been discussed on this thread? And if so, doesn't this militate against lay persons administering the ordinances?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

1. Yes, under the right circumstances. We already exchange letters with IFB churches in our area. I would also favor receiving members of congregations which do not carry the Baptist name, but are baptistic in both doctrine and practice.
    2-through-6. No.

In your church, this is what happens when the church authority becomes irrelevant. When the individual is the sole arbiter of whether his baptism is valid, this is what you get. To ignore an individual church's design and mode of its baptism is to get this kind of mischief.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you've already noted, SBC churches are autonomous on this matter; thus, there is no "SBC policy" to speak of. Areas in which the Landmark tradition is stronger (such as here in the Southwest) can be much more strict on the requirements. For example, the pianist in the church where I grew up originally was baptized in a Pentecostal denomination and was required to be rebaptized to become a member of our church many years after she began playing the piano for us regularly.

I'm sure that you're familiar with the SBC's International Mission Board rules on candidates for missionaries:

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

rsr,

Both the church you grew up in and the SBC International Mission Board policy are practicing correct policy.

5. queenbee

queenbee Member

Well, I've seen both occur in my local church. Generally, it is our pastor and deacon board who administer communion, but we have had a couple of occasions when a visiting pastor (woman) administered the elements. As for baptism, several years ago, we had a young woman being baptized, who specifically requested that her friend who led her to the Lord be the one to baptize her. This young woman by her own testimony, had been into a life of drugs and rebellion and save for the steadfast love & prayers of this one friend who stuck by her, openly admitted she would likely have overdosed and died. She clearly wanted to not only acknowledge Gods' saving grace, but honor her friend in front of God and church family. There wasn't a dry eye in the house and it was a very precious time for all.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet, some would insist she be re-baptized into "their" church. Very problematic from my perspective.

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This requirement regarding baptism is theologically bizarre, especially the one about the church having to believe in security of the believer. The Southern Baptists have completely lost their minds.

Furthermore, since Southern Baptists have such a low view of the sacram...excuse me, ordinances, I wouldn't think it would matter who "officiated" or played lifeguard or waiter.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First of all, this section of the bulletin board is called "Baptist Debate Forums (Baptist Only)" so if you are Methodist, you should not be posting in this section. There is a "All Other Christian" section that you're welcome to post in. Maybe start a thread over there.

Secondly, please post your thoughts more fully. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with: that a church should be sure someone is saved, that there is the belief of eternal security or what.

Finally, your last paragraph is quite offensive and not really a kind of comment you would make as a brand new member of a bulletin board. How about reading a bit more before you begin to attack anyone on a site that you are basically a visitor on, OK?

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

What is the difference between a sacrament and an ordinance?
    (please to not answer in this forum as so we will not hijack the subject at hand)

I am starting a thread in the "Other Christian Denominations" section, so non Baptists can be part of the discussion.

Salty