1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary??

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by John of Japan, Feb 24, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What can you knowledgeable folk tell me about Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary? My son is thinking of going there for his doctorate in a couple of years. :confused:

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It is a solid seminary. It grew under Patterson and it is my understanding that it continues to grow. Most of our younger ministers at my church (Calvary Baptist in Winston-Salem) got there MRE or MDiv there. We partner with them for various kinds of training and internships.

My son is at SWBTS seminary working on his MDiv. I'm hoping he'll consider SEBTS to continue his studies! (I'd like to see him more than twice a year :D )

3. NateT

NateT Member

SEBTS uses the same Abstracts of Principles that SBTS does.

I'll tell you that I came in part to SBTS in hopes of taking Dr. Akin (I had him online) but got here a semester after he left :(

4. Convicted by the Spirit

A lady in our church attended the school with her husband a few years back. Her husband got cancer pretty badly and they both knew he would pass before his time in school was finished. While he did remain faithful to the end and still pursued his studies at the school it amazed me of the closeness of the facuilty and students as one big family as she described it.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Danny Akin is the president there now, and i would not be surprised if he takes the school to the next level.
    They announced Dr Akin's nomination as president there during my graduation from SBTS in 2003.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have not taken any classes there, but I have friends who have and they speak very highly of the school. Dr. Akin is a great man and I have the utmost respect for him!

John, I think your son would be well served there

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Dr. Akin is an outstanding man, my sponsor for the Evangelical Theological Society. I have the highest respect for his scholarly passion and evangelistic zeal. That being said, I believe SBTS is the best seminary on the planet, and yes, I'm partial because I attended there [​IMG]

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

One of my former pastors, Dr. Bruce A. Little, is the Associate Professor of Christian Philosophy and also the Associate Dean of Theological Studies. Dr. David Alan Black, SBTS Professor of New Testament and Greek is someone who I consider to be a dear friend and a mentor.

mcdirector, my wife and I visited Calvary Baptist when we lived in Pfafftown, I lived in Winston-Salem for 17 years before moving to Florida. [​IMG]

9. Broadus

Broadus Member

Your son won't go wrong at SEBTS. I took extension MDiv courses with SEBTS in the 1990s, and some of the same profs are still there. Dr. Maurice Robinson was my DMin supervisor at Luther Rice, and Dr. Akin served on my PhD committee at SBTS until he was about to leave for SEBTS. Like BobbyD, I was in the December '03 commencement at which Dr. Mohler announced Dr. Akin's departure from Southern for Southeastern.

Bill

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I attended SEBTS for one year before transfering to Liberty. It is a fine school. In fact I would say that it is probably one of the best schools in the nation today.

Martin.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! Positive answers all around. This is encouraging. It's hard to know about these things being overseas.

Thanks to everyone. Gotta run to do some "dendo" (evangelism), then go to the church to prepare for tomorrow.

John
    Asahikawa, Japan

12. shannonL

shannonL New Member

John of Japan,

It is a wonderful seminary. The Bible is upheld in its rightful place which is supreme authority.
    The spirit on the campus is wonderful.
    I attended there when Dr. Patterson was president. It was an exciting place to be.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, shannonL.

I trust the Lord is blessing your deputation. Keep on keeping on!

14. shannonL

shannonL New Member

BTW,
    It was at SEBTS that John R. Rice's granddaughters or daughters were honored or something like that. It was Dr. Patterson's way of recognizing Bro. Rice's ministry or something. I can't quite remember what it was but I remember it happening. Maybe you could find out?

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't remember anything about this, shannonL, but it wouldn't surprise me. I'll have to check on it.

After his death, several institutions did honor him in this way. Jerry Falwell had my mother (and maybe some of my aunts) out to give a testimony at his church and I think at Liberty, and treated her like a queen, so she is a die-hard Falwell fan to this day! :D

16. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Just got back from vacation and detoured through Wake Forest, NC to checl out SEBTS. Bookstore had a nice selection but prices were terrible!!

17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello John,

I graduated from Southeastern College at Wake Forest (shares campus with SEBTS) in 2002. I am now working on my Masters degree.

SEBTS pioneered the 2 + 2 (or 2 + 3) MDiv with International Church Planting degree. This is a specialized program including two years of campus-based work plus two or three years of international field-based service in cooperation with the SBC International Mission Board (IMB). The degree functions within a partnership between the Seminary and field-based mission locations. Students and spouses meet the specific criteria for service with the International Service Corps (ISC) and the general requirements for career appointment with the IMB.

While I believe that all the SBC seminaries are good, SEBTS is the best of the six. Your son can't go wrong by coming here.

[ March 07, 2006, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Bible-boy ]

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hello Charles,

Yep, I agree prices are a bit rough. However, students receive a 15% discount on textbooks. ;)

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent, Bible Boy. Thanks for the information. [​IMG]

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

SEBTS Admissions Contact info: SEBTS Admissions Link

There is a 1-800- toll-free phone number given on the above linked page. Also it has a point and click link to an automated form where you can request admissions information and a catalog on-line.

Yours in Christ,

Bible-Boy