1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fasting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Mar 14, 2007.

1. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

Just curious how many of you fast, when you fast, and why you fast, and some of the benefits of fasting.

2. AAA

AAA New Member

1. I do some time.
    2. On the weekend most of the time.
    3.To weaken the flesh and give strenth to the spirit while devoting myself to prayer..
    4. It brings me closer in a walk with the LORD and it proves that GOD himself sustains me and not the food that I eat. It is by the Grace, mercy and the Word of GOD that we have life.

:godisgood:

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've only felt a need for fasting one time. I was trying to decide whether or not to quit my job and go to Bible college. I couldn't seem to come to a conclusion until I fasted and prayed. I got my answer and went to college.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, you always in front :)

5. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

jd, recently I have discovered some great benefiets of fasting, here are a few.

1) Going on a three day water fast has been known to detoxify the body. All that means is all of that extra waste that is stored in your body (usually your colon) can be burned up when fasting. When this happens, energy levels will often increase after the fast and even someones appearance will seem more vibrant and healthy.

Basically, fasting allows our digestive organs to rest. A three day fast once a month is recommended by most people who are into natural health and healing, due to the over-nutrition that so many Americans have. After doing my fasts, I have never felt closer to God, but I have ALWAYS felt much better health-wise.

Unfortunatley, most times I fast it is not a Biblical fast, meaning it is not accompanied by long periods of prayer. I pretty much do it for a health thing, but even then I have still seen numerous benefiets.

Also, when I have a cold or something I fast. It clears up the sickness faster then you would believe! I fasted yesterday for the majority of the day due to my sickness, and at the end of the day my sickness had pretty much subsided. Then however, I did not obey my plan of the fast and figured that I was feeling better apart from fasting, so I ate some food, and sure enough the sickness came back in a stronger form.

For more health information on fasting, either juice or water, just type fasting into the google search page, and you should come up with some websites.

So to answer your queston, 3 days a month and then one 7 day period through the year, but it is not for spiritual benefiets, only mental,emotional, and physical.

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

I never fast. The closest I came was to spend one day, day light that is, in reading and praying twenty years ago.

MK 2:18 Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. Some people came and asked Jesus, "How is it that John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?"
    MK 2:19 Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. 20 But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.

John 14:18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.

john.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fasting is good.

I fast once a year. 10 days, just water. Let me tell you that on the seventh day, your breath smells like a baby's, and that's because the toxicity in your body is gone.

My brother taught me fasting.

But we don't do it for spiritual reasons.

If your health provider clears you, then by all means, fast.

Otherwise, don't.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Personally, I think that fasting should be viewed as a personal sacrifice and that's it. I truly don't believe that there are any health benefits to it.

1. Fasting is going to kill your metabolism, so your body is going to go into starvation mode and burn as little energy as possible. This teaches your body to store fat very efficiently too.

2. Due to the lack of protein, your body will start to cannabilize itself. Basically when you break down a muscle, which happens every day regardless of exercise, your body tries to repair it. Unless you have protein available, your body will break down lesser used muscles in your body to steal the protein that it needs to rebuild what was broken down.

3. Fasting has been proven to be extremely hard on your kidneys and liver. When you fast, toxins have to be filtered out like crazy. Some may believe that this is your colon disintegrating or some mess, but when your body is fueling off of its own muscles and fat stores, that is what causes the toxin levels to skyrocket.

Excrement doesn't just get "burned up". It's simply gotta come out. Do you really have to go to the bathroom for #2 after consuming nothing but water?

Well then those people just need to eat less, exercise more, and eat better. Fasting should not be viewed as a band-aid for poor eating habits!

Basically all of the health benefits you mentioned can be attained by better eating, and without the bad side effects. I don't see the point.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

let me tell you, babay's breath stinks, milk,and nasty baby food.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

We aren't allowed, biblically, to brag about fasting, no one is supose to know about it, isn't that right?

11. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

One of the most incredible days I ever had was a fasting day. I wanted to spend the day not making request of God, but listening to God. So my prayer that morning went something like - "God, you already know my needs and my desires better than I could ever articulate, so today speak into my heart the things you want me to hear, and help me to hear exactly what you're saying to me"

I'm bi-vo, so all day long as I was working God was speaking. It was kinda embarassing a few times because the things I was hearing was bringing me to tears. It was an amazing day. I highly recommend it!

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have fasted several times. I have always fasted for a spiritual purpose. The concept of hearing from God during a fast is a worthy one. There is great benefit to your relationship with the Lord during a fast. I have ended every fast with a closer walk with the Lord and a deeper respect and gratitude for his purpose in my life. I would recommend it to all believers.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Ya'll got me thinking now.

I'll talk to my doc the next time I see him. I have medicines that must be taken w/food...but I've never asked about fasting...to be honest, I've always just thought, "Oh, I can't do that b/c of my meds."

Maybe I've been taking the easy way out. Maybe the doc could suggest a way I could do that.

Good thread, BTW.

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I love to fast. I do it when I am really seeking the Lord's heart on a matter. I have never come away disappointed either. I highly recommend it (for the purpose of drawing closer and hearing from the Lord).

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I talked with my pastor about fasting once when our church was asked to fast for something. He immediatly said I didn't need too, I disagreed, our church was asked by him. But I am diabetic and have to eat at certain times of the day. If I miss luch or am late I can have serious trouble, nearly passed out in the store once. We agreed there were different kind sof fasts, Daniel fasted from meat and sweets, and ate vegetables and water. So we decided I'd eat only what I needed too, and didn't need meat, sweets ( sometimes I eat splenda sweetend goodies) or soda, even if it was diet. I would have vegetables, and what carbs I needed to keep by blood sugar from falling, and water.
    So you might want to think of something like that.

16. guitarpreacher

Check with your doctor to see what he suggest, but you could consider something like an unleavened bread fast. That way you take the food you need for your meds, but instead of the double cheesburger and chili cheese tots, you have a piece of matza. Or you could possibly do a juice fast if your meds could be taken with a glass of fruit juice. IMO, anything you do to change your normal routine that puts your focus on God accomplishes what a fast is supposed to accomplish.

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, anyone eating this mess needs to take a permanent, life-long fast from these foods. From a health perspective only... why do people feel the need to go from one extreme to another like this? There is a healthy middle road there.

18. guitarpreacher

See, now you've gone from preaching to meddling. I happen to think that cheeseburgers are nature's most perfect food.:applause:

19. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honestly can't remember the last time I had a cheeseburger...

edit: just remembered... was about a month and a half ago when I bought my wife's minivan, offered to buy my father-in-law lunch any place he wanted since he helped me pick it up. He chose the Golden Corral or whatever that place is. The only decent looking meat I could find was a custom grilled cheeseburger. It was nasty.

Before that, wow, I bet it has been months.

Now tots... I like those too, but it's kind of hard to find any at a restaurant without all the hydrogenated mess they cook it in. I think I'll just stick to my diced potatoes pan fried in olive oil. :)

#19 corndogggy, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  20. guitarpreacher

Well friend, that's too long!