1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

know anything about this?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by donnA, Mar 31, 2010.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Someone asked me if I knew anything about this, and I don't think I've heard anything, wondered if you had, so whats up?
    http://goldfuture.wordpress.com/201...equire-the-micro-chipping-of-americans-31810/

they want to microchip us all?

#1 donnA, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
  2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The part of this quote that the article uses to support its claims is "(ii) a class II device that is implantable". Yes, a RFID microchip falls under that classification. This does not require that people are implanted with it however. It just says that if someone is implanted that it will be recorded in this national device registry.

If we want to act like it requires the implant, then we must also act like it requires all American's to have "class III devices" as well. "class III devices" is clearly in this passage so we have to apply it to something that is mandatory to all American's as well, right? Some examples "class III devices" are replacement heart valves, silicone gel-filled breast implants, implanted cerebral stimulators, implantable pacemaker pulse generators and endosseous (intra-bone) implants.

I don't like this passage for my own reasons. I don't want to have devices that are in my body (regardless of the device) in a national registry. But, let's not act like this passage requires all Americans to be implanted with RFID chips.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Not heard of them wanting to implant us with a chip, but there is talk and money to implement a system whereby the patient can choose to have their health records downloaded to something like a flash drive. The flash drive can be updated in real time (meaning at the time and point of service), which in theory will prevent unneccessary repeat tests and help to prevent identity/insurance theft and a host of other problems (mixing up of health records of people who have similar names for one)

There are several problems with this idea:

a) cost

For this idea to work, all health facilities will have to buy the hardware and software needed to support all those flash drives. And they have to secure both their own systems and the patient's flash drive. All those facilities will also have to support a nationwide standard that allows every other health facility to read/write all the info on all the flash drives from every other health facility.

Not only will all the facilities have to be compatible will all the other facilities, but all the equipment (like x-ray or MRI machines) will also have to be compatible! They aren't compatible now (this is what my husband does for a living!) and it will take megabuck to get all the different manufacturers to make their products compatible.

b) But first, you have to have a set of standards to control all this. The US? Doesnt' have one! Each state has its own set of policies controlling the flow of health data. And each state is now trying to rewrite those policies in the face of these new regulations, but those policies FIRST have to agree with each state's own laws/constitutions, and then MAYBE they'll figure out a way to make them compatible with one another. Yeah, maybe.

c) Security. The US has no security policies for who gets to view a patients health records. Best practice is that the patient him/herself controls who gets access. That is what HIPAA requires. There are a host of problems associated with requiring individuals to carry around on their person a device that may have 30 years or more of health data. Who is responsible for lost or stolen data? What if a nurse takes a drive from a patient and sets it down for a second to tend to a second patient only to find the drive missing when she comes back for it? Who will be responsible for encrypting the data? The patient? (could you? most people don't even password protect their laptops and we expect them to encrypt a flash drive??? yeah, not gonna happen) The medical facility? (hmm, my children regularly visit 4 different health facilities. Which facility will be responsible)

Even if we put a chip under our skin, all those questions would still have to be answered. Chips like that have to be able to give off a signal in response to a query (they have to be able to communicate with a "master" device). What happens if the device that is querying the chip, just happens to be in the possession of someone trying to hack your data?

This, is not something I would seriously worry about at this time.

There are already systems out there that read hospital bracelets and connect that bracelet to the internal computer records for that patient. But those systems aren't anywhere near ready to go outside the facility door.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Why would a microchip be necessary? I have an insurance card that says I am insured for medical care.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't think it's to say you are insured, everyone will be, but it will contain your medical history.

6. MrJim

MrJim New Member

I can imagine my mennonite & amish friends reaction to this one:laugh:

7. billwald

billwald New Member

Everyone's ID number will begin with '616' and end with '666,' the blessing of cheap computer storage.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

you mean the blessing of obama don't you.