1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tax refugees staging escape from New York

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Oct 27, 2009.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/tax_refugees_staging_escape_from_qb4pItQ71UXIc0i6cd3UpK

Tax refugees staging escape from New York

By ANDY SOLTIS
    Last Updated: 6:08 AM, October 27, 2009
    Posted: 2:53 AM, October 27, 2009

New Yorkers are fleeing the state and city in alarming numbers -- and costing a fortune in lost tax dollars, a new study shows.
    More than 1.5 million state residents left for other parts of the United States from 2000 to 2008, according to the report from the Empire Center for New York State Policy. It was the biggest out-of-state migration in the country.

The vast majority of the migrants, 1.1 million, were former residents of New York City -- meaning one out of seven city taxpayers moved out.
    "The Empire State is being drained of an invaluable resource -- people," the report said.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Any retired person with a livable pension would be crazy to stay in a ligh living cost state that had a state income tax. Most of the people leaving New York are probably going to Florida, a state which is designed to attract retired people.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think that's why Rush Limbaugh moved from New York to Florida a few years ago.

If memory serves me, Rush also said that every time he goes to New York to do his show, he has to pay taxes on that visit.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People are leaving Florida for the same reason, too many taxes.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

What taxes do they have, since there is no income tax?

I just googled and found the Fla Dep of Revenue

#5 Salty, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2009
  6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, let them all go then. We could stand to lose a few million more. I would suggest we start in Albany. Anyone who is addressed as Assemblyman, Senator, Governor....

Then we can move on to New York City. Better yet, what do you say to convincing New Jersey to annex the whole thing south of White Plains. Buffalo we can give to the Canadians and Rochester... I don't quite have a plan for Rochester yet.

Now the state is shaping up as a pretty nice place to live. Lots of fresh air, beautiful mountains to the north and plenty of lakes. Did I mention snow? I'd pay extra for snow.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the only reason but...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aZOI02HF8V80

Florida’s First Population Decline Since 1946 Squeezes Budget

By Jerry Hart

Rising property taxes, increased homeowner insurance costs since the 2004-2005 hurricane season and competition for retirees from other states such as Georgia will damp population growth in coming years, said Smith, a demographer and economist.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

>Originally Posted by carpro [​IMG]
    >People are leaving Florida for the same reason, too many taxes.

And going where? Would a person who likes Florida weather be happy in S. Dak?

We live in Washington State because we don't like WEATHER. No income tax but high cost of living. We could move to many states and be upper scale but prefer to pay the economic price for living in a civilized climate.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those in Florida are not leaving they are just moving inward away from the coasts that have such high property taxes which are mostly in the Tampa through Naples area. Areas like Sebring Fl are filling up fast.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals and their taxes.

Wealthy people are leaving New York. Why? Confiscatory taxes.

California has already seen an exodus of businesses because of excessive taxes and regulation.

Will their people be far behind?

Are we looking at the future for the U.S? Talent, resources , wealth, and people leave exhorbitant taxes behind as they leave the US?

We already have corporate examples and liberals cry about it , but don't do anything about it. Except pass more taxes.

Idiots.