1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mormon and Jehovah's witness

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by zrs6v4, Dec 18, 2009.

1. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

'The Council of Trent describes the process of salvation from sin in the case of an adult with great minuteness (Sess. VI, v-vi).

DHK said: 'No the Catholic Church has never taught salvation by grace'

The Catholic Encyclopedia: Salvation

It begins with the grace of God which touches a sinner's heart, and calls him to repentance. This grace cannot be merited; it proceeds solely from the love and mercy of God. Man may receive or reject this inspiration of God, he may turn to God or remain in sin. Grace does not constrain man's free will.'

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Catholic Church and even the RCC Encyclopedia itself is full of contradictions. You still can't explain away this problem:
    as well as this Scripture:

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Here is the Catholic Encyclopedia: Salvation
    http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s1c1a1.htm#1099

This last statement of the Catechism is the most heretical of all and demonstrates how works is a must for salvation. If the church does not “cooperate” (through works) “in the liturgy” (a work) there is no salvation. There must be cooperation. If there isn’t, there is no salvation. Again, let me emphasize, according to the RCC, THE WORK OF CHRIST IS NOT SUFFICIENT and therefore they have a gospel of works and not of grace.

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Lori,

Except that its true. "Saints" ARE worshipped.

Except that purgatory WAS invented. There is no real "purgatory".

Except that Christ IS supposedly re-sacrificed during every mass.

The truth Lori is that Mary IS the object of goddess worship, dead catholics ARE treated as Gods, the mass IS blasphemous, the Catholic Church IS apostate and filled with wickedness, idolatry, false teaching, etc etc etc.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it interesting that any time someone posing as a Christian leaves Christianity for the false cult of Catholicism, it's because they've been miraculously enlightened from above, but any time a Catholic gets saved and becomes a Christian, it's only because they were idiots and were easily lured away because they just didn't know any better?

I used to post on Catholic.com (where I was banned for sharing the Gospel. Go figure!). And the attitude was that it didn't matter how long you were Catholic or how much education in Catholic beliefs you had as a Catholic, the moment you walk out the door to become a Christian, you immediately forget everything you ever knew or were ever taught.

You just don't get it do you? When a non-Christian "converts" to a non-Christian religion, that's not evidence that the non-Christian religion is true. It's just evidence that like attracts like.

But how can that make you happy when one of them must be wrong?

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already tried showing her evidence from the Catholic Encyclopedia. She doesn't believe the Catholic Encyclopedia is an accurate reflection of Catholic beliefs.

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly, I trust John McArthur a thousand times over you.

Could you please give us examples of these "false statements", along with citations?

So do the Mormons. The problem is, just like the Mormons, Catholics claim that we are saved by grace but redefine grace.

When a Catholic talks about salvation by grace, he may truly believe he is saved by grace, but the Catholic idea of grace is imparted and kept by works and rituals.

Then could you please explain why the Council of Trent pronounced anyone who believes in salvation by grace alone as "anathema"?

Actually, it's drivel, not "dribble". Perhaps you heard that from a "Morman".

Are you really suggesting that Catholics don't build statues to dead saints and bow down and pray to them? Next time you're in New Jersey, you might want to take a ride down Rt40 and watch all of the Catholics bowing down at a shrine to "Padre Pio". And then, when you're leaving New Jersey, you can stop off at that giant, hideous looking statue to Mary in New Castle, De, and watch the Catholics bowing there.

Yep. Purgatory was invented so that the Catholic Church could sell indulgences.

Actually, I've already cited Catholic sources for you that admit that Christ is "re-sacrificed" at every mass.

But how is a person saved if they're relying on a false Gospel for their salvation?

Actually, anyone who denies Christ's divinity, denies the resurrection, denies the virgin birth isn't a Christian. So we can eliminate those people.

Second, the problem with your claim is that Christianity doesn't embrace these things institutionally. Catholicism does, by definition, embrace Catholic heresies.

The third difference is that you fail to take into account (a) that these beliefs are only a very small minority and that (b) the vast majority of Christians actually speak out against these things.

Have you ever heard of a logical fallacy called tu quoque?

#228 JohnDeereFan, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  9. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Amazing how a thread regarding 'Mormon and Jehovah's witness' turns into a Roman Catholic bashing thread...

I honestly haven't clicked on this thread until i saw it was at 23 pages and wondered, what could the discussion possibly be about...now i know...the same 'ol dribble...lol

In XC
    -

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think thats a great way for growth. Its in line with scriptures. I think the protestant poliferation of ideology of contraceptive acceptance is a bad thing. Europe which is primarily secular has a population problem since Muslims are out breeding Europeans. Soon Europeans will not have enough people to prevent the on slaught of Islam.

11. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Though I feel slighted about the discussion with being born again. I find DHK in this matter of Salvation by grace you are misinformed. The Catholic Church teaches salvation by grace not works. Works are only in effect once the path of salvation is chosen. Therefore works are the resulting effect of that salvation.
    You river analogy is only sufficient in that baptism is believed to was away sins. But you miss on an important aspect. After faith is acheived. Now with infant baptism Faith is held in trust for the child by the church and parents and God parents.
    The Catholic contention is that Christ's work on the cross was suffiecient in everything it set out to do. Include sanctify his disciples. Jesus wants more than Just declaration of justification but to have us be indeed sanctified in our lives. We are actually saying the same thing when you get down to it.
    Baptist: works are evident that you are saved
    Catholics: works are evident that salvation is working in you.
    Niether believe works alone save. Faith saves. Faith leads to works. No works no faith.

12. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:::thumbsup::love2:

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    While I can agree with the Catholic Church on the Bible fact that sanctification is a key part of the Gospel that we find in scripture -- I cannot agree that the blood of Christ does not cover the "after-life" debt/punishment "owed" for so-called venial sins. I cannot agree that payment for such debt can be "purchased" via indulgences. I cannot agree that eating bread is the way we have grace enter our being or soul. I cannot agree that the arbitrary hoops and hurdles thought up by a local priest become the means God would use for sanctification. I cannot agree with the idea of "so many days indulgence" granted for specific RCC thought-up activities.

A lot of that is simply "making stuff up" on top of the already Biblically established doctrine on sanctification.

in Christ,

Bob

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I listened to that 9 minute segment carefully and did not catch the point where John says that Catholics think of purgatory as "a second chance" at heaven.

I thought his point was that the invention of purgatory enables access to heaven for a vastly wider group (i.e all that go to purgatory - will eventually get to heaven). Did I miss something in his sermon at that point?

in Christ,

Bob

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand what you mean. However, I think you have a misunderstanding of what the Catholic church is talking about with venial sins. ( I never liked catagorizing sin but they do it). Venial sins are those things that aren't necissarily sin in and of themselves. Ie I like to watch TV. Not a problem in an of itself. However, I spend a lot of my time watching TV and programing with questionable content and am not willing to stop then I've sinned in that I've given my attachments to the world rather than God. Maybe that's a poor example. Basically its those things which we chose instead of God but in and of themselves aren't necissarily bad. Venial sins in this respect is very personal. And change in intensity and offence based on the person. Purgatory I agree is speculative. However, when we die what attachments do we still have to this world that we haven't subjected to God? I believe when we see God after death (in an instantaneous fashion) all worldly desires will be burned up in the Glory of God as his light chases away the darkness of my misconcieved notions that this corrupt world left. Now purgatory is saying much the same thing except rather than instantaneous its has a consept of time but itself being outside of time; time has no relevance. I think this is how the catholics view this aspect of after death with regard to venial sins.

16. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Bob, it is about 7:40 into the segment. He says that Purgatory is 'a second chance' to get into heaven. He says he 'can't buy into it'. Well neither do I and the Catholic Church does not teach it is 'a second chance' to get to heaven. The Catholic Church teaches when you die you are either bound for heaven or bound for hell. Purgatory is NOT a second chance. So, he is either lying about what the Catholic Church teaches or he is wrong. As I said before, I prefer to believe he is wrong but, as I have demonstrated by the link to Chick Publications article (which is corroborated by investigations by Christianity Today and CRI) it is not beyond protestants to blatantly lie about the Catholic Church.

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

Again, right on! I think that is a rather good example of 'venial sin'.:thumbs:

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

The key there is that "grace" itself is defined as "instructions" on works; based on Tit. 2:12. the CoC'ers have boldly claimed this, and the Catholics seem to agree as well.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Believe me, I am not misinformed about grace: undeserved favor. I have been teaching it for well over 20 years. For the same amount of time I was deceived by the RCC on what grace was.
    That is an opinion, not a fact. Actually it is a false statement.
    Works are absolutely necessary for their salvation. If there are no works there will be no salvation, according to the RCC. It is that simple.
    Where does the Bible teach that faith can be "held in trust"? Chapter and verse please? That is a man-made doctrine--an invention of man inspired by Satan in Hell--a Hellish doctrine designed to send people to Hell. It has no other purpose when the Bible explicitly teaches "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." An infant cannot believe." This is a direct contradiction of the Scriptures. Baptism is a work. This work is a condition of salvation. Salvation is conditioned on this work plus many others, according to the RCC
    If it was there would be no need for Purgatory. The very existence of Purgatory proves that Christ's work was insufficient. If one must spend time in purgatory being "purged" for their sins, then the blood of Christ wasn't sufficient enough to do the job. Christ failed in his work on the cross. (The result of RCC theology).
    Sanctification is a lifelong process that happens after salvation, after justification. What happens at salvation is justification--the fact that Christ declares us "just as if we had never sinned." That is justification. It is a one-time event in a person's life. It is not a process. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." It happens once. After that one continues in fellowship through a process of sanctification.
    It is not the same thing. The Catholics demand that works are a requirement for salvation. That eliminates grace. Read the Bible:

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

The Bible itself declares that it is either grace or works. You cannot have both. The RCC has declared that salvation is of works. Works, as you have declared are necessary for salvation. That eliminates grace. There is no grace in salvation in the RCC. It is impossible according to the Bible.
    There is not one single work in salvation. Not one. If there is even one work--even baptism--then the person is on their way to hell. Christ did not intend anyone to have a part in what he did on the cross. Salvation is either all of Christ or it is no salvation at all. It can't be both. He does not share his work with another.

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

#239 DHK, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is? What verse is that?

Does the Bible teach that church membership is for those who are saved, or merely for the children of church members, whether they're saved or not saved?