1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Closed Communion Help

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by matt wade, Feb 2, 2010.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

OK, I know I'm probably asking for it, but I'm going to post this anyway :).

Please, I know this is in the debate forums, but couldn't find a better place to post it. If you want to debate this topic, let's do it on another thread. I'm just asking for advice on this one.

Now, on to the topic. This is a question for those that believe in closed communion (limited to the local church body only). Any advice on locating churches that also believe this? I've been researching churches in my area and have only found 3 churches (metro population over 1 million) that believe that the Lord's Supper should be limited to the local church body. Any help or advice on how to locate churches that believe this would be appreciated.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    call them...........

3. matt wade

Yeah, I got that much figured out already :). I've called about 40 baptist churches so far and they all practice open communion. Was just wondering if there is a particular association I may be able to narrow down to that adheres to the practice of closed communion.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Associational offices most likely will not have that info on every church

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missionary baptists usually hold to closed. They are also landmark however. Don't know where you are there. (Baptized by one of their pastors or you are probably not really baptized.)

There are two associations online.

http://www.abaptist.org/ABA/chlinksbystate.htm
    is one

#5 exscentric, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Probably not. The Baptist churches that have closed communion are most likely the ones that don't belong to any association, at least none that exist in a formal setting with lists and names. Being completely independent is part and parcel of the concept of closed communion.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In Baptist practice, there's no formal association that has closed communion as an express matter of faith and practice. However, it's been my experience that Landmark Baptist churches tend, more often than not, to practice closed communion. Primitive Baptists generally practice closed communion, but again, it's not necessarily exclusive to all PB's.

I hope that helps. Best of luck in your search.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Associating with other churches does not interfere with being completely independent. And there are a great many SBC churches that hold to closed communion. There is only one way to find out and that is to talk to them personally.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I concur. I know it's going to require a bit of footwork, but calling them and asking them directly is probably the only way to find out for sure.

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like scripture that addresses this, please, if anyone knows where it is. (what in the Bible specifies closed communion?)

I am not in a debate, but I do want knowledge.

Debbie Mc

#10 dcorbett, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Given that the OP poster said "If you want to debate this topic, let's do it on another thread. I'm just asking for advice on this one.", I think we should respect that request and not start a debate. I'm not saying your'e looking for a debate, but the followup posts would end up in a debate. I think we should respect the OP request.

12. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I think the request has been met and his question answered, now let's get on with what this forum is for!

Church autonomy is where closed communion would fall under any heading.

To try and make "closed" communion to include only that local church does not take into account that where Paul said to take Lord's Supper in Corinth seems to disassociate what was going on in that local assembly from communion being offered to anyone who might be traveling into that port town.

There is no real support for closed communion in the Bible. I believe that is why dcorbett asked for it.

13. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

"I just wanna enter into a debate forum and ask advice, not debate":laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your wish is my command

Salty

16. matt wade

Thanks for the help all :).

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Most Baptist Bible Fellowship churches are closed communion, although some are "close" communion.

18. matt wade

That may be true in other parts of the country, but here BBF churches are open communion. The only BBF church that is closed communion is First Coast Baptist Church. I've contacted all the others and they say they will allow any believer to partake.

FYI, the home church of the BBF President (not in my town) is open communion as well :).

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I was a member of FCBC for many years. That's where I first heard of it. It is interesting that Bro. Hodges is OC. Their family had (has) quite a bit of history with FCBC.

20. wattie

wattie New Member

Churches that believe as the op does..

I think all in the American Baptist Assocation do.. (or they should according to the association's statement of faith) and the Baptist Missionary Alliance also..

But I don't know where you are.. these are churches mostly around the Southern States.. Texas.. Louisiana.. Arkansas.. Texakarna..

there are more around the world.. but the stronghold is there I think