1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Yes Sir, No Ma am

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Jun 10, 2010.

?
  1. My children are required to say yes/no Sir/Ma am

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. As long as it is a full yes or no

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Even if they say yep or nope, as long as they answer

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Makes no difference to me

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. I'm not a parent, but if I was, I would require it

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  6. Other answer

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you require you children to answer you with Yes, Sir; No Ma am - ect.
    Or do you allowe them to give you a "yea" or "nope"

Why or why not.

Salty

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I have two grown sons. When they were kids I didn't require Sir/Mam answers as long as they were respectful when they answered. That was the key for me. You can say Yes Mam with an eye roll and an attitude, and be in lots of trouble with me! LOL

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends.

We've taught them not to say "yeah" (boy, is that a hard habit to break). If it's no, then it's almost always "No Sir/Ma'am" but if it's yeah...er, I mean yes, then we'll accept other ways of addressing us, as long as it's respectful.

Yes, Dad/Daddy/Mom/Mamma is fine.

On the other hand, it's always Yes/No Sir/Ma'am to their granparents and great-grandparents.

And just to beat you to the follow up question, no, they're not allowed to call adults by their first name.

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For us, it was usually ma'am/sir to others. To us, it was yes or no. UNLESS, we were attempting to emphasize authority. They told me later that when I told them to use "sir", they knew I was really serious. :thumbsup:

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Being respectful is one thing, but there is no reason to require "sir" and "ma'am."

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always been under the impression that "sir" and "ma'am" are culturally Southern. Where I grew up we did not have a choice, it was "sir" or "ma'am". I see nothing wrong in teaching children to be polite.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being reared in the south, I learned "sir" and "ma'am" real quick.

My girls know when I ask them to do something, the only acceptable reply is "yes, ma'am!" This tells me they heard the request, er, order, and will obey. They don't have to say sir and ma'am in other conversations, BUT I expect it when they are told to do chores.

One thing I cannot stand is when you say something to a kid and they reply with "Huh? What?" To me, that is the height of rudeness. The phrases "Huh? What?" and "I'm bored" are not allowed at my house, or in the classroom when I taught school.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was a kid, we moved to New Jersey for a couple of years. Whenever I called adults Sir or Ma'am, people would always ask me if I was in the military.

My children know better than to say "I'm bored". They know it will be followed by, "Oh, really? Well let's see what we can find for you to do..." and nine times out of ten, it will involve a horse and a shovel.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

If your children say they're bored, you need to hear them. They might just be complaining, but if they truly are bored, that means they are disengaged with the world around them. Later on, that kind of attitude leads to drugs, alcohol abuse, etc.

We don't live in the moment these days. We are consumed with filling the space with TV, video games...maybe even Baptist Board. We need to smell the roses, hear the clock tick. We can only meet God in the present moment.

It's not helpful to pester your children about these things, but they will see your example.

Needless to say, "bored" is the worst possible swear word in my classroom.

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it just means they're children.

Except that we don't have a TV and our children don't have video games

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's about the same with our kids as well. Plus, I try not to ask too many yes/no questions to begin with. Bottom line, want them to be courteous and respectful.

12. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Hopefully it is with your kids. It's not that simple with a lot of children, believe me.

13. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree - I think the sir/ma'am really is a cultural thing. I grew up with this in the south, so that's what I was used to. I remember being shocked when others thought it strange when I used that language -- again, wondering if I was a military kid. This is also a cultural thing within the Latin American community, where this is common among more traditional families.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, very interesting - maybe this is something we should think about

A couple of folks mentioned the military - is in being military kids. Of course, as soon as you join the military you are required to call officers as Sir/Ma am. Why? To teach respect for authority.
    I contend we have a responsibility to do the same for our children and we are letting them down if we don't

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humility before authority. We also do not allow our children to use first names with adults.

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was the early 1960’s, I was in 4th grade.
    My class had become disruptive and the teacher was unable to control us (imagine that!).
    She called in the principle, who had a reputation as a tough disciplinarian.

I had a friend in the class who was a military kid, recently transplanted from South Carolina into the Cincinnati region.

The Principle ranted and raved at us, “You kids need to mind the teacher!”

“Yes, sir”, Stephan P. answered.

The Principle threaded us with bodily harm and continued his ranting, “You need to stay in your seats”

“Yes, sir”, my friend answered again.

“And you need to mind your manners”

“Yes, sir!”

It went on awhile more. Finally the Principle had just about enough of the young whippersnapper, and said angrily, “%?$@, will you stop saying “yes sir!"

Without a thought my friend answered, “Yes sir!” ... and then wilted,
    He just couldn’t stop himself.

Rob

17. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was raised to say Yes ma'm no ma'am yes sir, no sir, please & Thank you. I am not sure if saying yes Ma'am or Yes sir is as much of a southern thing as it is away of teaching kids to respect their elders.
    Faithgirl

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

There are places in the country where it is offensive to say "sir" and "ma'am." Respect is conveyed in different ways by different cultures.

I teach at a school that is largely made up by children of Mexican immigrants. At the beginning, I was frustrated to no end by the kids who would not look at me in the eyes when I was talking to them. I thought they were being aloof and disrespectful.

One of my colleagues let me know that in hispanic tradition, children are taught to look down or away when being addressed in that manner.

So these kids were doing what they had been taught all along.

It seems to me like we should stop worrying so much about this issue. If you have children, teach them to respect others in the ways you see to be appropriate, but don't fail to realize others might not agree with you...and that is okay.

19. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I have met teachers from other parts of the country who thought children were being smart-mouthed when they said sir or ma'am. Their experiences with it were uncommon and negative.

I've always been happy with a polite yes or no. I do want the real words though and not some sloppy substitute.

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is that?