1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

90 Minutes in Heaven

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Sep 21, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Don Piper spent 90 minutes in Heaven. You may have seen the book. To date it has sold over 2 million copies.

1. Don Piper got in a car wreck and died. Yes, he said he died.

2. Four medical experts examined him and pronounced him dead.

3. He gets to heaven and recognizes about 60 people that he had known in this life, including a next door neighbor and his great grandma.

4. During this time in heaven, the Lord speaks to a Baptist couple and told them to go and prayer for the Don Piper who is considered already death.

5. The pastor who was commissioned by the Lord to prayer was an SBC pastor.

6. I really don't know what to do with this! What are your thoughts?

2. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

I wonder if the Lord told Don how much money to charge for his book about his experience.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Is there any link that this goes with?

Was he already a believer?
    Was he a baptist, more specifically SBC?
    Maybe God was gettin on his pastor (was it his pastor?) for not praying for his church, and then saying - see what happens. :)
    (I'm SBC btw and love my brethren dearly)

Since when do we see our loved one before Christ, even Justin the martyr saw Christ enthroned and all other accounts of heaven center around the Throne where Christ is and then pans around the area.

Was he walking along St. Peters avenue by the nice town and country homes and realized the Lords house was just ahead. - Yes being silly here.

However, I see nothing wrong with God moving people to prayer.

#3 Allan, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I don't know what the criteria is before declaring someone dead, but I have heard of cases where people have been revived after being declared dead. I have even heard of children being revived with no ill effects, hours after being found dead either after drowning or freezing. Some have claimed they saw or heard things. I'm not sure it isn't some kind of hallucination, which can feel just as real as a true experience.

love,

Sopranette

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

This is very true. I was taking for granted the guy actually was dead, but I would need to hear his whole story, or at least most of it to give a better redering of my thoughts.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

There was a certain man named Lazarus, of Bethany who was also pronounced dead. In fact they buried him. He was brought back to life. If Lazarus could be brought back to life why can’t Don Piper?

Why do we the Church, the believers of God still marvel at miracles?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Nothing I have read declared him a beleiver unless you know something about the story not given in the OP.

No one disputes it isn't a possiblity, but there are still questions that need to asked and not just accepted without setting it beside scripture to test it.

I do wonder however, just how much money Lazarus made on his book?

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

:laugh: It proves the Lord really loves Baptists. :laugh:

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was the SBC pastor a Doctrine of Grace-er or a Whosoever ?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He is a believer...he's a pastor. I read the book, and still don't know what to make of this. On one hand, he was so critically injured that after being declared dead at the scene by numerous people within a timeframe of just under 2 hours, I would find it hard to believe he could have been alive, given his condition. At any rate, God is in the miracle business, and this fact cannot be dismissed.

What happened was this (in a brief overview): He was driving home from a conference when a semi ran over the top of his car, and hitting a few other cars. The other occupants of the other cars were alive, but critically injured. EMS first went to Piper's car, took his vitals, and declared him dead, wanting to attend to the people who were still alive. He covered him with a sheet and left him in his car.

Traffic was backed up quite a bit because of this (only two lane bridge). Another pastor was sitting in traffic when he felt the Lord leading him to go to the scene and pray for the injured. When he got there, he felt he needed to pray for the person in the first car. He repeatedly asked EMS if he could, and they finally agreed after telling him he was already dead, and it would do no good. He had to crawl through the trunk of the car to get to him, put his hand on his left shoulder, and began to pray and sing hymns. After 15 minutes, he heard Piper start to sing along with him. He crawled back out of the car and ran to the police telling him the man was alive. They didn't believe him, and he had to repeatedly try to persuade them.

That's the gist of the accident, and Piper also gives his vision of Heaven, and the majority of the book is in regards to his ministry and recovery since then.

I used to be dead set against this sort of thing, but I tell you what, this autobiography made me step back and reconsider. It is plausible that Piper was alive the whole time...but numerous people took his vitals. Maybe his respiration and pulse were VERY shallow. Who knows. I would recommend reading the book to form your own opinions.

#11 webdog, Sep 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2007
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The review wasn't real fair, IMO. He admits Piper never admitted to actually passing through the gates of Heaven, that he only saw the outskirts...and then goes on to say Piper's Heaven is "Christ-less". Thats contradictory if Piper only experienced the outskirts.

Also, he never mentions Lazarus as a biblical character who would have died, experienced Heaven to some extent, and been revived. He states only living people in the Bible have experienced Heaven, which is clearly not true.

12. AAA

AAA New Member

measer his experience with the WORD of GOD....

What does the bible say?

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brother in law's heart stopped during an operation. He said he went to hell, and from what he described I tend to believe him. He said he was in total darkness and utterly and completely alone. The despair, he said, was indescribable. Richard Wurmbrand, who spent three years in solitary confinement never seeing or speaking to another individual said, "Hell is being alone with your sin."

My brother in law has since come to faith in Christ and mended his ways.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. So Don Piper claims that he was resuscitated after the obedient prayer of an SBC pastor over him.

2. There must be another explanation.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

One of the three following choices seem to apply.

1. His book is truthful
    2. The human mind plays tricks on people near death as the brain is deprived of oxygen. That is what happened here.
    3. Piper's lying.

Applying Occam's Razor, this list is ranked from least likely at #1, to most likely at #3.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why is it most likely he's lying? That's pretty harsh, especially given he's one of God's annointed.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Webdog, what other explanation can we venture? Should we just believe Don Piper?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you have reason to believe he's lying? Three explanations were given by MP, with lying (according to him) as the most likely.

I don't know if he thought he died, and was really unconscious, or if he really did die (God is in the miracle business, you know), but I seriously doubt he is lying, and would never accuse the man of such, especially if I do not know him personally.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Four experts pronounced him dead, an SBC pastor says God told him to prayer over the dead body of Don Piper, Don Piper says he goes to heaven and even heard heavenly music that are still in his head, the SBC pastor begins to sing a song at the end of his prayer to which Don Piper wakes up and then begins to sing along.

2. Let's just say that I don't really don't know what to make of it. Was Don Piper really dead? Were the experts on target? Should this be interpreted as a supernatural phenomenon?