1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fasting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

What are your views on fasting? What does the Bible say about fasting? I've started to think about this recently, after becoming sick and being unable to eat anything for a couple of days. Obviously, this was not a fast that I had prepared for or even wanted, but I have to say physically, I felt great afterwards, so I know now that I CAN do this safely. I'd like to know more about it.

love,

Sopranette

2. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I tried fasting only once back in the 1990s. I read that fasting is a very good spiritual exercise. After two days of no food, I began looking at my co-workers very strangely: Joe Blow sandwich. John Doe soufle. Needless to say, I decided to stop fasting. :)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's a great book called Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough by Dr. Elmer Towns that you can get. See if you can get it in your church library.

4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, Ann. I will!

One of the suprising things I noticed after about a week or so of eating very little was that I began to see food as a REAL blessing, not something I just gave lip service to (sorry about the pun!:)) Food never tasted better, or was more appreciated. There have been times before when food was scarce, and I do remember having similar feelings during those times as well. But I have never connected it with a spiritual effort before now.

love,

Sopranette

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Fasting is okay - even for Baptists!

Fasting is biblical, scriptural, and I have done and still do it from time to time. Sometimes it has been a number of days, and other times, just one day. During this time, I seek the Lord. As the Word says, draw near to Him and He will draw near to you.

6. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

And what have you experienced spiritually when fasting, USN2Pulpit? Does your seeking become clearer, more focused?

love,

Sopranette

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have done several 24 hour fasts and I have always been very blessed by it. When you take away food and replace it with a more open heart and mind to God's word and worship it is always a good thing. Every time I have fasted I sense the Lord's presence in a much greater way and I find him speaking to me through His Word in clearer ways than usual.

8. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

That is the most curious part to me. It seems you would expect just the opposite to happen, that you'd be so distracted by hunger, you would lose all focuse. I'm really looking forward to setting a specific time for this.

love,

Sopranette

9. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I have fasted several times as well- in times when I was deeply seeking the Lord. Every time, I have come away more focused and refreshed. There is something about the denial of self that helps me focus more on His word and what He wants to speak to me.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Remember that the Holy Ghost works in your life in a particular way during fasting. He is part of fasting.

11. Danny Hurley

Danny Hurley New Member

Please read Isaiah chapter 58- really notice verses 5,6,7.

12. North Carolina Tentmaker

Don't forget that a total fast is only one way to fast. I have used partial fasts much more often, and they can be maintained for longer periods of time.

13. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

My experience is similar to SBC's. I don't know how it work- or why it works, but in those days I draw close to God and He draws close to me.

14. spiersdodgerblue

spiersdodgerblue New Member

The last few years my husband and I have fast just before Easter and break our fast on Easter morning at chruch with the members. If my heart and mind are in the right place, I'm fine with fasting. Breaking the fast with the other church members is wonderful and a very good exemple to our kids.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fasting is an act of worship in which fleshly lusts are denied so that one may devote himself to the word of God and prayer. Fasting isn't mystical; it is a bodily exercise, however, the word of God and prayer are mystical, and that is where the power in fasting resides.