1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southern Baptist Convention

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 14, 2009.

?
  1. I am SBC and Yes, I plan on attending this year (2009)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I am SBC but Not this year, but I do plan on a future one

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. I am SBC I would like to attend but am unable to do so

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  4. I am SBC and see no need to attend any SBC meeting

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. I am not SBC, and yes, I plan on attening this year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am not SBC and I will not attend this year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am not SBC I would like to attend but am unable to do so

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. I am not SBC and see no need to attend any SBC meeting

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  9. other answer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the schedule for future meetings:
    Louisville, KY - June 23-24, 2009
    Orlando, FL - June 15-16, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ - June 14-15, 2011
    New Orleans, LA - June 19-20, 2012

Do you plan on attending the SBC convention?
    Why or why not.

Unable to do so this year, but would love to attend in 2010 - if I can work out the lodging. Orlando is a long way from the Salt City.

#1 Salty, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe the FL convention - might make a family vacation out of it. I don't normally go because it's such an expensive trip.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about we share the lodging costs SBC P? :thumbsup:

4. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wished that it was in East TN or I would had attended!

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

I wish it was more northward, SD is quite a ways to travel for the meetings. :tear:

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I said "I am SBC and see no need to attend any SBC meeting"

The annual meeting is a joke. Its has moved away from the needed annual meeting to resolve pertinent business and is now a mockery of a political rally and a time for pastors to swap resumes and scout new churches. The whole thing is a giant waste of money, time, and resources that could be used to reach people. Then there are these inane resolutions...why is it that we (SBCers, evangelicals, etc) are so happy to tell people what we're against and not show them what we're for?

Just doesn't make a lick of sense to keep having it when modern technology and other resources make the large gathering moot.

I'd attend a state convention meeting...if it were primarily directed at supporting missions and evangelism efforts and not a smaller version of the larger. Just a big ole waste of time imho.

7. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

Attending

I will be attending the meeting for the first time since 2004 and am looking forward to it. I always enjoy the pastors' conference and the service in which missions is emphasized.

The fellowship is always encouraging. It's good to renew acquaintances and fellowship with my pastor friends. I enjoy visiting the exhibits. Always pick up some good ideas about ministries, mission opportunities, etc. The music and preaching is usually outstanding.

I think the convention makes some pretty positive statements to the outside world. It's true that we have had some pretty bad publicity at some of the meetings, but overall, it has been positive. I remind myself that most of "the world" doesn't look favorably upon our convention's stand on the fundamental issues. The devil will do what he can to make us look bad, if we allow him to.

I see the business portion of the meeting as a macrocosm (sp?) of our local church business meetings. I am sure that some of the decisions we make have been carefully orchestrated by the "leaders." Don't we do the same in our local church business meetings? We all know that, for the most part, we pastors try to work behind the scenes prior to our business meetings to make sure the votes go the way we want them to. We pre-select people we think would serve best in various positions in our churches, and we try to make their election go smoothly. To criticize our convention leaders for doing the same is the pot calling the kettle black. Just my two-cents worth.