Can you pray your way to godliness?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, Aug 20, 2024.

1. Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I spend far less of the day in prayer and in scripture than I should, I have been struggling to increase in godliness. The way I've been trying to do so is prayer. In a number of areas in my life, I have asked God to make me more godly.

Is this sufficient? Or do I have to exhaust my will trying to obey God?

2. canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would suggest looking at what are called “spiritual disciplines”. They include prayer, Bible intake (both reading and hearing), fasting, mediating in scripture. There are others, I’m sure.

I sense your motivation may be slightly off. Instead of trying to gain more “godliness”, may I suggest your motivation to be walking closer to God.

I learned years ago to pray “through the psalms and proverbs”. This requires choosing 5 Psalms each day, and one Proverb.

A good way is to use the day of the month (today is the 20th) as your first Psalm and then add 30 to get the next and so on. So today would be psalm 20,50,80,110,140.

Remember, the Psalm are mostly David’s songs of prayer to God.

For example: Psalm 20:1 “The Lord hear thee in the day of trouble, The God of Jacob strengthen thee…”

Just pray that verse back to God. “Oh Lord, hear me in my day of trouble, strengthen me with your presence.” And then add your own petition. “As your Apostle Paul said, let me walk in a manner worthy of my profession of faith in Jesus, My Savior. Let me never grieve your Spirit, let me never forget His sacrifice. Let me also seek your presence. Draw close to me Lord. Fill me with your Spirit. Guide every thought, every thing I do, let me do it for the glory of Christ, My Lord.”

Let it be so.

Hope that helps

peace to you

3. Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil