Cessationism in 1Corinthians 13:8

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by George Antonios, Feb 6, 2023.

1. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a more text-honest - and therefore better - way of helping our Charismatic brethren see that the gifts of the Spirit have ceased.

V.8
    whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

What kind of knowledge does he mean? Its listing along with prophecies and tongues identifies that knowledge as one of the gifts of the Spirit: 1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues. But it also covers any communication of knowledge in the church, as Paul indicates in the next chapter: 1Co 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? This broader sense of knowledge is also manifest by Paul’s generalizing statements such as we know in part (v.9) and I know in part (v.12), which expressions are certainly true regarding any kind of knowledge.

His prophecy that prophecies…shall fail does not mean that Biblical prophecies will fail to be accomplished, for the Lord said: Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled (Mt.4:17)[1]. Nor is the sense that they shall fail by being fulfilled. In context, the prophecies are what Paul also calls prophesyings (1Co.14:6, 1Th.5:20); again, a reference to one of Spirit’s gifts, namely, oral prophecies of NT prophets. Here, therefore, for the prophecies to fail means to ceaseas it is also said of the tongues. The word fail is oft used in the sense of termination: whether of money (Gen.47:15, 16), man (1Ki.9:5, 2Ch.6:16, Job 19:14), oil (1Ki.17:14, 16), drink (Isa.32:6), vintage (Isa.32:10), desire (Ecc.12:5), grass (Isa.15:6), bread (Isa.51:14), waters (Job 14:11; Isa.19:5, 58:11; Jer.15:18), or years (Heb.1:12)[2].

His prophecy that whether there be tongues, they shall cease does not mean that there is coming a point at which languages will cease to exist, but rather that the gift of tongues – the Spirit’s granting of the sudden ability to understand or preach in an earthly language hitherto unknown to the speaker – will cease to operate.

Thus, we have the prophesied termination of prophecies, tongues, and knowledge.

Paul indicates the ephemeral nature of prophecies and knowledge for the purpose of exalting charity (and possibly also faith and hope) by its contrasting eternality.

V.9 mentions knowledge and prophecies but not tongues because the latter are but the vehicles of communicating knowledge or prophesying the future, as Paul explains in the next chapter, Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? (1Co 14:6). Tongues – being inherently valueless if not communicating knowledge or prophecy – are subsumed of Paul under both in v.9.

Bengel’s Gnomon: “These occupy a middle place, because they are the vehicle and appendage of prophecies; but prophecy and knowledge constitute two different genera, 1 Corinthians 13:9; 1 Corinthians 13:12.”

Now, let’s consider the macro view:

A) Paul’s purpose is to teach the gift-loving Corinthians that those gifts are the less weighty parts.

B) He does that by revealing their temporary nature.

C) Then he mitigates against the Corinthians’ shock at the claim by noting that all knowledge and prophecy would one day dissipate.

His broadened scope (vs.9-12) is introduced to justify his claim that the gifts would cease, not to identify when they would cease.

The big question is: when do those gifts cease? Both cessationists and non-cessationists are mistaken about the pertinent terminus in that:

1) both mistakenly understand Paul as saying that the gifts (v.8) would cease when that which is

perfect is come (v.10) – which is technically inaccurate.

2) Cessationists mistakenly identify that which is perfect as the completion of the NT scriptures,

whereas non-cessationists correctly identify that which is perfect as the millennial day of Christ. It is undeniable that the ultimate terminus is the millennial kingdom perfect day (Pro.4:18) signaled by the 2nd coming of Christ, and by extension, the ages to come (Eph.2:7) beyond that day; as we understand from Paul’s reference to then face to face in v.12. This he contrasts to the darkly discerned scriptures [glass (v.12) – 2Co.3:18, Ja.1:23] , whether completed or not. Far from presenting the completed NT scriptures as the terminus, Paul effectively employs them as an illustration of incomplete and darkened knowledge. Although Biblical prophecies predict as far as eternity, yet the act of prophesying itself will indeed become illegal in the millennial kingdom: Zec 13:2 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the LORD of hosts, that I will cut off the names of the idols out of the land, and they shall no more be remembered: and also I will cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land. Zec 13:3 And it shall come to pass, that when any shall yet prophesy, then his father and his mother that begat him shall say unto him, Thou shalt not live; for thou speakest lies in the name of the LORD: and his father and his mother that begat him shall thrust him through when he prophesieth. Zec 13:4 And it shall come to pass in that day, that the prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision, when he hath prophesied; neither shall they wear a rough garment to deceive: Zec 13:5 But he shall say, I am no prophet, I am an husbandman; for man taught me to keep cattle from my youth.

Attached Files:

2. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Despite the terminus being the millennial day, the cessationist interpretation is the correct one precisely because cessationists are mistaken about point #1.

The reason I say that both camps mistakenly understand Paul as locating the end of the gifts (v.8) at the coming of that which is perfect (v.10) is that, between his statements in vs.8 & 10, he enlarges his scope from the gifts of v.8 to every kind of spiritual knowledge and prophecy in v.9.

View attachment 7367

It is that unheeded enlargement of scope in v.9 that causes both camps to err. That the scope is so enlarged in v.9 is evident from:

A) the generic wording of v.9 and the broadening use of for. The partial knowledge of v.9 is not only the partial gift of the word of knowledge, but also partial scriptural knowledge, as he expressly states in v.12.

B) his illustration of childhood-VS-manhood maturity, which is generic and encompasses natural (as contrasted with the supernatural kind in the gifts of v.8) knowledge and understanding.

C) his referencing of even the Bible – above and beyond the gifts of the Spirit – as a dark glass (2Co.3:18, Ja.1:23).

Therefore, when that which is perfect is come (v.10), which is the millennial day, marks the end of all partial knowledge and prophecy – whether gifts (v.8) or scriptures (v.12) – generically. That the gifts, specifically, only end when that which is perfect is come is not technically stated. It may be a reasonable inferred from the text, but it is not a logical necessity. Rather, the flow of Paul’s thought marks off the cessation of gifts (v.8) from his broadened scope (vs.9-12) which is, recall, is introduced to justify his claim that the gifts would cease, not to identify when they would cease.

Observe:

1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

And don’t marvel at that since all forms of spiritual knowledge and prophecy – not only gifts – are also set to cease one day:

1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
    1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    1Co 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
    1Co 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

So we are simply told to expect the gifts of knowledge and prophecy to end, without being told when; and we are told that all knowledge and prophecy will end at the millennial day:

View attachment 7368

Paul’s childhood-to-manhood illustration suggests a gradual fading out of all knowledge and prophecy – both supernatural and scriptural – in the light of growing understanding, rather than a punctiliar obsolescence. Given that meeting Christ face to face (v.12) is a punctiliar event, the illustration’s suggestion is that knowledge and prophecy will have begun to fade out long before then, even as childhood vanishes long before the full maturity of old age.

[1] Isaiah likewise wrote: Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these [in context, preternatural creatures] shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them (Isa.34:16).

[2] Heb 1:12 And as a vesture shalt thou fold them up, and they shall be changed: but thou art the same, and thy years shall not fail.

3. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are not a pre-millenniallist?
    1 Corinthians 13:12, ". . . For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. . . ."

For Paul he is already "face to face." 2 Corinthians 5:8.

4. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am definitely pre-millennialist.
    What gave you the impression I wasn't?
    In 2Corinthians 5:8 we become face to face at death.
    That's a relevant reference, and if I were to redo the video, I would integrate it, but that which is perfect is come is not death but the millennial day, as numerous references indicate.

5. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice in 1 Corinthiams 13:9 which two gifts were in part.
    And in James 1:17, claims, ". . . Every good gift and every perfect gift . . . ." So each in part gift will be replaced by it's perfect. The Revelation ended those speaking gifts per Revelation 22:18, ". . . For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, . . ." God's word being always perfect.

6. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure how that disannuls the observation that Paul's terminus for cessation is then face to face, which, by his own words, is not the Bible (which he qualifies as also in part), but the appearing of Jesus Christ.

7. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well by time John was given the closing written Revelation and the last to be heard, the Apostel Paul was already "face to face" with our Lord. Also the first uses of that Greek term "perfect" was by James. [After Matthew's gospel.]

8. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Corinthians 13:8 (NASB)
    Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away with; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away with.

I think George Antonios' presentation is brilliant. I think he misspoke a little when addressing that the large circle is going away when we see Christ face to face, but his written "partial knowledge" is going away at the second coming is, in my dubious opinion, spot on!

Bottom line, sacrificial love for God and others, hope - trust in the reality of God's promises, and faith - our deep seated commitment to our Lord and Master, will prevail when Christ comes again. Our partial knowledge and prophesying will be no more. To paraphrase JFK, we will not ask what God can do for us, but what we can do for God as our greatest attribute will be love.

9. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A) We do not know that 100%
    B) Granting it to have been so, his I was preceded by a we. His I was therefore generic in reference to all Christians.
    For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then [we shall see] face to face.
    C) That which is perfect is come...is literally that, is come. It's not me or you going to Jesus, it's Jesus coming down here.

And?

10. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I come from a cessationalist background.
    I’m certainly not charismatic, far from it… being prone to introspection and introverted.

Yet I’ve never been convinced that 1 Corinthians 13 concerns cessationalism.

In a leadership interview I quite openly expressed my divergent opinion regarding the charismatic spiritual gifts.

I do not believe that most of what modern popular Christian culture calls charismatic is from God.
    I don’t believe God uses those gifts as he has in the past.
    That being said, I do not believe that God cannot or does not use them today but their use is at best, quite rare.

I have heard many stories, (particularly from missionaries in third world countries where God’s biblical witness is absent) where evidence of such gifts opened doors to the gospel.

Rob

11. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's possible, I meant, as at one point stated, that it goes away only in the sense that it becomes dissipated as moonlight is lost in the rising sunlight.

As a Lebanese, I must point out here that JFK there quoted the Lebanese author Gibran Khalil Gibran. Kennedy quoted from "The New Frontier" which Gibran wrote 36 years before his 1961 Inaugural Address. The original quote is:
    “Are you a politician asking what your country can do for you or a zealous one asking what you can do for your country? If you are the first, then you are a parasite; if the second, then you are an oasis in a desert.”

:)

12. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Corinthians 13:8 is black on white cessationism, as Paul literally says cease.
    That being said, I actually tend to agree with your tempered view.

13. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought you said knowledge, rather than partial knowledge.
    Yes, like a lot of my "novel" insights, they arose from the insights of others.

14. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here.

15. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, George, for bringing this wonderful passage once again to life on this board.

I would argue that the question "when do these gifts cease?" was far from Paul's mind when he wrote the passage.

I believe the supremacy of love and Christians seeking to grow this gift was Paul's topic, with lesser finite gifts an emphasis on love.

I would summarize the "charismatic gifts" as temporary while love endures.

The cessationalists are, indeed, wrong to identify "that which is perfect " as this is not the point of the passage.

16. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes we do. Paul change the we to "I."

17. George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure we are talking about the same thing brother. I meant we do not know 100% that Revelation was written after Paul's death, although that is very likely.

18. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One more sort of off topic comment, this is the sort of thread that should exemplify our Baptist Board, reflecting study and not dogma.

19. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation is historically understood to have been written in 96 AD. Do you have better information?

20. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This might shed light on why some maintain an early date, but many others go with during the reign of Domitian.
    The significance of the interpretive system one holds. The Preterist Interpretation requires that the book be written during the Nero before the destruction of Jerusalem in A.D. 70