Christ Has the Pre-eminence in the Hearts of His People

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Jul 24, 2023.

1. KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That in all things he might have the pre-eminence. Colossians 1:18.

We cannot be happy, till this truth is brought into the experience of our hearts. The regenerate soul is ever at war with the flesh, for it opposes the pre-eminence of Christ. And is also at war against the proud notions of profane, as well as self-righteous men, who reject Christ our precious head, from having the pre-eminence in the salvation of the body. They put him in subordination in many things, instead of giving him the pre-eminence in all things. When our Lord says, “My Father worketh hitherto, and I work,” (John 5:17,) some self-sufficient sinners become bold intruders, and add, “Lo we work also, and our works must have some part in our salvation.” Well, it will be so, till the law of works, which has the pre-eminence in their hearts, kills their legal hopes and self-righteous confidence. Soul, can you say with Paul, “I, through the law, am dead to the law?” (Galatians 2:19.) Are you married to Christ by faith? Then you have seen, that you are totally destroyed in the old creation; and a mere cypher, an insignificant nothing in the work of a new creation. Here Christ is all in all. As a chaste and loving bride, you will glory in, and exalt your beloved Bridegroom above all things. (1st.) You will give him the pre-eminence in your heart. It is said of the late king, George the Second, when he chose to keep his nobles at a distance, he used to say, “the king is at home to-day.” So, whenever any bold intruders from the world, the flesh, or the devil, solicit admittance, you will say, “King Jesus is on his throne to-day.” He has the pre-eminence within. My affections are set on him. There is no room for you. (2d.) Of your hopes. Does Satan accuse? We overcome Satan by the blood of the Lamb, and by our testimony of Jesus. (Revelation 12:11.) Does the law condemn? “Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us.” (Galatians 3:13.) Is conscience distressed? “His blood sprinkles our hearts from an evil conscience.” (Hebrews 10:22.) His work “makes perfect,” as pertaining to the conscience. (Hebrews 9:9.) “His blood purges our conscience from dead works, to serve the living God.” (Hebrews 9:14.) Thus Christ has the pre-eminence in all things, pertaining to our conscience, and our hopes. For we are fully assured, “God hath made us accepted in the beloved.” (Ephesians 1:6.) (3d.) In our lives. We are not under the law. Therefore we have done with all legal striving to fulfil it, that we may be justified by, and saved for what we do. But we are under the grace of Christ. This has the pre-eminence over our walk. We live under the influence of love. We walk with Christ’s salvation in our hearts.

- William Mason, A Spiritual Treasury For The Children of God, Volume 2, July 24