1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ Shall Appear

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Nov 20, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the chief Shepherd shall appear, he shall receive a crown of glory, that fadeth not away. 1 Peter 5:4.

Peter speaks with the utmost confidence of the appearing of Christ, and of his members being crowned in glory. Yes, he knew better than to make his Lord a liar. For if any one of them should perish in their sins, and by the force and fraud of Satan be dragged down to hell, then they would lose their crown of glory. But how then would the goodness of their Shepherd appear, if he suffered this? Peter never received, nor ever taught such absurd, unscriptural doctrine. He too well knew the unchangeable love of the chief Shepherd. He knew Christ could not be glorified, nor would his heavenly Father be satisfied, without each and every one, of his chosen, redeemed, justified, believing members, crowned in glory. He says, “I am the GOOD Shepherd: I KNOW my sheep, I give my life for my sheep,” (John 10:11.) If but one of them was missing, he would search hell and the grave to find him, and to crown him. For, (1st.) Christ is our chief Shepherd. The sheep are all his own. (1st.) By the gift of his Father, (John 17:2.) (2d.) By the purchase of his blood. Our souls are bought with that precious price, (1 Corinthians 6:20.) (3d.) As a shepherd, he calls us and gathers us to himself, by the grace of his word and the power of his Spirit. (4th.) He is, what no other Shepherd can be, and in this he is CHIEF indeed to our souls. He is OUR LIFE. Our life is not in our own keeping. It can never be lost or forfeited. It is in our Head: safe and sure, certain and eternal. Being in union to, and communion with Christ in faith, we now enjoy the earnest of glory, in the spiritual blessings and comforts of this life. When we find our hearts holy and happy, it is because Christ is our life. When we groan under sin, and hunger and thirst after righteousness, it is because Christ is our life. Thus Christ, our chief Shepherd, appears now, in the spirit and life of our souls. (2d.) Christ SHALL appear. As verily, as he once appeared, as a mean man, and hung, as a vile malefactor, to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself; he shall appear to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them who believe. But, says a poor sensible sinner, how shall I appear before him? I deserve ever to be banished from him. True. But, (3d.) You shall receive from him, a never-fading crown of glory. That dear hand which was nailed to the cross for you, shall be stretched forth to crown you. O Lord! is it possible? I am not worthy of this. True. So will you think to all eternity. Therefore you will sing, “Worthy is the LAMB,” etc. Revelation 5:12.

- William Mason, A Spiritual Treasury For The Children of God, Volume 2, November 20

#1 KenH, Nov 20, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2023