Essense of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jun 6, 2022.

1. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Hebrew says, "“Hear, Israel! Yahweh is our God, Yahweh is one"

2. BasketFinch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  3. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I believe you? You have presented falsehoods and misrepresented my views. I think you are afraid to answer the question, how many divine spirits, one or more than one. Prove me wrong. :)

4. Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will ask you to please define “divine spirit”

thanks

5. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another wasted post, without answering the question! Why has not one poster answered the question? And note that not one has said they have no answer.

6. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another evasion, what are all these supposedly well studied posters afraid of?

7. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 3:16
    After He was baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and settling on Him,

I had expected the self proclaimed experts in Greek grammar to point out that in the phrase "Spirit of God" the Greek word translated "Spirit" is singular. But would this reference to the one Person of the Trinity, the third Person, preclude other Person's could not have different or the same Spirit? I think not.

8. Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    van

that was a very serious (among other attempts) to help you out

have a great day

9. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1Co 6:17
    But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

1Co 12:9
    to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,

1Co 12:13
    For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit.

Eph 2:18
    for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father.

Eph 4:4
    There is one body and one Spirit, just as you also were called in one hope of your calling;

Phl 1:27
    Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear about you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;

Based on the above, the Bible clearly presents one divine Spirit. In Romans 6:3 we were all baptized, spiritually immersed, in Christ Jesus.and made to drink one Spirit. If "made to drink" is a metaphor for being indwelt, then the verse (1 Corinthians 12:13) suggests that the Spirit we were baptized into is the same Spirit with which we were indwelt.

And Jesus says we are in Him, and He is in us. So being immersed into One Spirit means we are immersed in Christ and He and the Holy Spirit (our Helper) is said to be in us.

10. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pardon me if I doubt your evasions and disparagement were aimed at helping me find the answer to my question. After all, you could have just answered it or said you were clueless.

11. Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, the way the it is asked is impossible to answer

it sounds like you are trying to espouse a view held by B Hinn that there is a Trinity within a Trinity

it is a very unorthodox question.

may I am wrong

12. Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The terms Essence and Divine must be defined by the OP in order to understand what is meant

13. BasketFinch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The scriptures posted answered the question.

14. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no reason for your behavior except fear.

15. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Upon reflection and further consideration, I doubt that my inference above is correct. I think it is more likely that "drink" refers to being enlightened by the Holy Spirit. Thus we became "partakers" of the Holy Spirit.

Eph 3:6
    to be specific, that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel,

Hebrews 6:4
    For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,​

Thus 1 Corinthians 12:13 suggests we were baptized into the same Spirit that invited us and drew us through the gospel.

16. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As noted before when God as an eternal Spirit is in view, the Greek word translated Spirit is singular. However, we see "spirits" many times in scripture, referring to human spirits or demonic spirits, or angelic spirits. Thus always created rather than the eternal Spirit.

For example, in Revelation 1:4 (NASB):

John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from Him who is, and who was, and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before His throne,​

Here we see the seven spirits, acting on His behalf. These are referred to as the seven spirits of God in Revelations 3:1, 4:5 and 5:6. "Of God" again seems to refer to angelic beings created by God and acting according to God's will. I am unaware of any example where the plural contextually refers to our eternal God.

17. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that I missed this post (# 17) which appears to answer the OP Question. The answer, if I am understanding correctly, is that there is only one Divine Spirit, and this one Spirit is the Spirit utilized by each Person of the Trinity.

Thanks, and sorry for my belated acknowledgement.

18. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not utilize, but are.
    Also John 4:24. And Isaiah 43:10-11.

19. robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three Parsonages, as all were present & distinct, but physically separate at Jesus' baptism.

20. BasketFinch Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'll pray for you. You poor dear.:(