For those who use the New King James Version (NKJV) ...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by alexander284, Mar 17, 2022.

1. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who use (and like) the NKJV ...

What are some of the features you like most about the NKJV?

And what advantages do you see in using the NKJV, as opposed to the KJV, as one's "primary" Bible translation?

2. Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use my trusty old KJV 95% of the time, but I do like the NKJV for comparison. I find it better in some areas, but not as good in others. I love the fact that the NKJV capitalizes "Him" "He", etc. when talking about Christ or God. That helps clarity. Overall, I like it.

3. Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read and studied the KJV over 50 years. The last few years I have also been reading and studying the NKJV. I have usually carried a KJV/NKJV Parallel Bible to church with me the last few years so I can see them side-by-side.

KJV-only advocates have praised the 1560 Geneva Bible, and some of them will suggest that the 1560 Geneva Bible is basically the same Bible or is practically identical to the KJV.

I have compared many renderings in the 1560 Geneva Bible, the KJV, and the NKJV. In many places where the makers of the KJV improved on the renderings in the Geneva Bible, usually the NKJV basically follows or keeps the KJV’s renderings, sometimes merely updating the spelling or English.

One important example in the Old Testament of where the makers of the KJV improve on the Geneva Bible is in the fact that the KJV indicates for readers a distinction between which Hebrew name is used for God by having “LORD” or “GOD” for the Hebrew name which was also translated Jehovah eight times in the KJV while the Geneva Bible does not. This one case would involve over 5,000 places where the KJV could be considered to have improved on renderings in the Geneva Bible. The NKJV also has these over 5,000 improvements to the Geneva Bible’s Old Testament.

Since the NKJV is certainly an improvement over the Geneva Bible in a large number of places, what does that suggest about the positive praise for the Geneva Bible on the part of KJV-only advocates when compared to their extremely negative attacks on the NKJV?

Since the NKJV translators kept or followed many of the improvements made to the Geneva Bible by the KJV translators, could it suggest that the NKJV could be considered more practically identical to the KJV than the Geneva Bible is?

I have also found several pages of examples where the 1560 Geneva Bible could be considered clearer, better, or more accurate than the KJV, and the NKJV usually is in agreement with the Geneva Bible in those cases.

Considering that the NKJV keeps most of the best of both the 1560 Geneva Bible and the KJV, it would suggest that it is likely better overall than the KJV.

4. JesusFan Well-Known Member

Updated the Grammar, using more modern terminology, and like how they did give to us alternate MT/CT renderings in the footnotes and margins!

5. JesusFan Well-Known Member

The Kjvo critics always seem to state though that the Nkjv used the Critical greek texts in places, and would suggest that they only showed those alternate renderings in both CT and MT for reference, but that they did use the same textual sources as did the 1611 Kjv !

6. 37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mainly the NU and M New Testament footnotes regarding the textual variants. And this feature is one of the reasons I will recommend the NKJV.

7. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I replied to this in one of your earlier threads.

8. RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A lot of these thread titles are repetitive. So the posts are the same ole' same ole.'

9. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Rip! I was wondering how long it would take for you to show me some love again!!

Snip

10. RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your estrogen level is quite high.

11. Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet contain good information. It's good to go over things. Sometimes new things unconsidered come to the forefront.

12. RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you think your immoral language is somehow Christian?

13. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    *I'm sorry my threads get lots of replies, whereas yours don't*

14. RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're a newbie when it comes to threads on the Bible Translations forum. As far as I can tell you started posting there in Dec. of 2019.

I looked at 18 of your Bible Translation threads and none got more than 3,500. In my case, my threads in this forum have stretched back to 2006. Looking back to some from 2010 to 2013 I had 10 threads with more than 5,000 views. Three had more than 7,000 views. On Jan 10,2011 I started a thread that gained 10,676 views.

And that's all in addition to threads I started in other forums on the BB. Some went beyond 13,000.

The point is : Don't go bragging or you will end up with egg yolk all over your face.

15. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not bragging, babe. I'm trying to be sympathetic!

*Please don't be mad, sweetheart *

Besides, I see you're skewing the numbers to make yourself look good, aren't you?

I didn't say "views." I said "replies." You're a sneaky fellow, you know that?

Even I "view" the threads you post (out of sympathy).

And the fact that I am, indeed, (as you're so quick to point out) a "newbie" makes my statistics, which you so helpfully pointed out, even more impressive!

*It's OK, dear. I understand why you behave like this.*

What's next? Snip

"Hee Hee*

16. RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am an honest guy.
    I went through threads 80-110 in the Bible Translation forum. Here is what I found with regard to my threads which garnered the most replies :

I'll put the replies first and the views next :

57/7,220

60/6,237

70/5,962

76/5,597

91/8,067

92/5,954

101/7,155

175/9,132

I have been posting threads in this section as well as other forums of the BB for more than 16 years. You have been at it for 3 years in this particular forum. I am not going all out for that span of years. Why would I? But the numbers I have racked up are rather good in comparison to yours.

17. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm so impressed! *sound of one man, clapping slowly*

But I do wish you would stop derailing the topic of the original post, and "stay on point."

*thanks bae*

18. RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a laugh. You have been posting rather immoral material on a variety of posts here Mister Hypocrite. That is not only off-point --but ungodly.

19. alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I see what's going on here. You like getting people "riled up" about your comments, and then you turn around and label them "ungodly," when they take the time and effort to defend themselves.

*do my words please you?*

20. RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ungodly is ungodly. Your posts directed toward me have been ungodly. You know it. Anyone can see. It is very strange for you to be posting on a Bible translation forum when you go against Scripture so often. Your spiritual immaturity is evident to all.