Indwelling/ upon Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, Apr 9, 2013.

1. awaken Active Member

THis thread is on the indwelling Holy Spirit and the Spirit upon! Two different works of the Holy Spirit!

THe HOly Spirit came upon them in the OT for power! They were not indwelled! The Holy Spirit upon them in the OT was not for salvation, right?

We are indwelled, right? That is salvation, right? Can we agree on this point?

The point where we disagree is that I believe the Holy Spirit ALSO comes upon us for power a different work than indwell!

2. awaken Active Member

Through the Spirit of God....sounds like manifestation to me?????

3. awaken Active Member

I am not looking for a sign in order to believe, are you?
    I believed way before the manifestation of the Spirit in my life!

Are we going to be here during the tribulation? ..that is another thread...

4. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would at least give you a new dead horse to beat on.

5. awaken Active Member

Well, that is one subject I have not throughly researched out! But my opinion would be...NO! The called out bride will not be here during the tribulation!
    But that is another thread.....

6. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No manifestation.
    Dan Graves, a writer for Christianity Today, wrote about an evangelist, Mordecai Ham who lived in the late 19th century and early 20th century.
    Here is part of what he wrote:
    There were no miracles, no signs, no speaking in tongues, no "manifestations," etc. Only one man filled with the Holy Spirit, preaching to another man. The Holy Spirit worked through him because of his witness for Christ and his time spent in the Word and prayer.

7. awaken Active Member

Conversion is great!
    But still does not prove or disprove the indwelling/ upon????

8. Thomas Helwys New Member

I have no hatred or bitterness.

Any person sitting on the pews who is a believer is NOT starving to death for truth or the Spirit, because they have the Truth and the Spirit living inside them.

9. awaken Active Member

I do believe in the Holy Spirit within! ...but He is also upon!

10. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Romans 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
    20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

The Holy Spirit is within the believer, not upon. The Scripture tells us that he comes and dwells within us. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit came "upon" in the OT, not in the NT. In the NT he fills us (Eph.5:18), as I gave an example with Mordecai Ham. He was filled with the Spirit, something every believer should strive to be.

11. awaken Active Member

Maybe you need to read Acts again..it mentions the Spirit upon!
    I do believe in the Spirit within...as I posted in my first posts!
    But I do not deny the work of the Holy Spirit upon as you do!
    Acts 1:8 is plain that the Spirit upon is for power!

12. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That refers to Pentecost, a one time event.
    Do you have tongues like as of fire UPON you every time you witness?

13. awaken Active Member

Here we go again....Acts 8:16 .."fallen UPON them"
    Acts 10:44 .."the Holy Ghost fell ON them.."
    Acts 19:6.."the Holy Ghost came ON them.."
    Every example that is shared! Three more should be proof! But probably not for you!

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    problem is NO verse supports that belief!

the bible clearly states that we have ALL drank of the SAME Spirit, that we have all of Him already residing in us , all equally, but there is indeed a difference in being just indwelt by him , and to be refilled by him, to have Him empowering us to live for Christ!

NO additional part of Him,nor second act of garce, but we need to submit and yield to him to have his fullness in and thru us, that is the promise to ALl redeemed!

You err because you try to apply OT HS concepts intot he NT, and fail to see that Acts is a Transistion book of History!

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the HS came in a BRAND NEW fashion at Pentacost, established the church, so he did come upon the Apsotles/disciples, and had cloven tongues of fire, did you experience that when you got the gift of tongues?

16. awaken Active Member

Yes! when the Spirit come upon me I did speak in tongues! But that does not prove a difference in the indwelling and upon. As I said to DHK...the Spirit was upon in acts!

17. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Were you saved befor ethat 'experience?" What did you ask God to do in order to get that 'tongue?"

18. awaken Active Member

Yes! I was a child of God almost 40 years before I ask him to baptize me in the Holy Spirit.

The first time he indwelled! The second time he came upon with power! Some say the baptism just brings out what is already in you to overflow! Possible! I just know it was different!

19. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So DHK, moody/calvin/Spurgeon/Wesly/Whitefield/Graham etc , who knew not this experience of yours, were deficient and weak in power, weak to serve god?

20. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

(CEV) Before this, the Holy Spirit had not been given to anyone in Samaria, though some of them had been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
    --Not necessarily "upon," just the translation you are using.
    (CEV) Act 10:44 While Peter was still speaking, the Holy Spirit took control of everyone who was listening.
    --no "on."
    (CEV) Act 19:6 Then Paul placed his hands on them. The Holy Spirit was given to them, and they spoke unknown languages and prophesied.
    --No "on"
    It is just the translation you are using. The Holy Spirit was given, took control, etc. It doesn't specifically mean "on" in the sense that you want it to mean. Do some more study.