John MacArthur and Beth Moore

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Paul commands are "apostolic rules, not law"?
    That a crazy dangerous slippery slope

2. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my favorite professor said "I acknowledge that you have the right to be wrong."
    This is a debate board. The purpose is to edify in debate and strengthen our doctrinal understanding. Respecting a Biblically wrong view is not what you will find here.

3. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. Again, same type of reasoning LGBT uses....

4. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the last and final time. If one is objective, I'm not speaking about Friel, but about MacArthur, there is nothing in what he said, or the way he said it that was disrespectful to Beth Moore or women. The truth hurts sometimes and that is all he did was speak the truth. He did not do it disrespectfully. He explained the doctrine and why he holds the position he wants.

It is ridiculous (and sinful) to keep on slandering and bearing false witness against a man (some even calling him an anti-semite without cause or evidence @Particular ) who has done nothing but preach the Gospel his entire life.

5. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well... that's just not true.
    We can seek to diligently understand what God said. God certainly has his opinion on the matter and that opinion is the only valid opinion. However, God leaves us to grapple with these issues and doesn't make everything simple or black and white. It seems you think this is a very black and white issue. I assure you, it is not.

Over the millenniums, Christians have held different views about God. I consider modalism and other views to be incorrect understandings of God. I am not quick, however, to dismiss these person's as not being Christians for whom Christ has atoned their sins. I disagree entirely with their position, but I don't toss them out as pagans.

6. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Except, you may very well be wrong, yet I respect your view and right to be wrong.

7. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I am not. If you feel I am your duty is to correct not let one remain in error.

8. Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God does not have opinions.

9. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spurgeon called Mrs. Lavinia Bartlett his best deacon. Her ministry as described in The Sword and the Trowel :

"Mrs. Bartlett is a remarkable woman. Converted with her whole heart to God before arriving at her teens, she early manifested an irrepressible desire to seek the soul-good of others. While engaged at twelve years of age as a Sabbath-school teacher, her infantile exertions were marvellously seconded by God. She was a spiritual mother even then; and many souls were brought by her to the Saviour....stimulated by her success in the school, [she] sought to enlarge her sphere of usefulness by journeying from village to village within easy distance of her parents' residence, where she might seek the salvation of neverdying souls. It was tough work to exhort burly farmers and their still more boisterous sons to seek an emancipation from the tyranny of Satan; but is anything too difficult for even a timid damsel, filled with the sufficiency of Jesus Christ?"

"Mr. Thomas Olney, the venerable treasurer of the Church, invited Mrs. Bartlett to conduct the Bible class....it has increased its numbers, until the average attendance has now become seven hundred, which sometimes swells to an additional hundred or so."

"On a recent visit to the class, it seemed to me that there was an undefined something in the prayer alone which robbed one of that calmness of mind so requisite in joining in a public supplication, but filled the soul at the same time with a holy exhilaration and devout expectation which fully compensated for loss of calm. It was a simple, tender, earnest, powerful and prevailing address to a real present Father. If woman can thus approach the Lord in supplication, how much do we not lose, my male friends, by not occasionally hearing her voice?"

"[Her teaching] was doctrinal—founded on the eternal verities of the great I AM. It was chiefly exhortative—recalling God's performances in bygone times of Christian experience, specifying the many sacred privileges of the present, painting bright pictures of coming joys and communions to be realised by faith in the far-stretched future. Better still—it was savoury, full of Jesus. Peculiarly tender and eloquent was her appeal to the unconverted. Convince a sinner of your real anxiety for his eternal welfare, and you have opened a channel in his heart for further communications. Few could resist admiring the exuberant and passionate utterances of this Bible-teacher."

10. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I accept you have a dogma. I disagree with your dogma.

11. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, in one of his final sermons (1891) on Psalm 68:11 "The Lord giveth the word; the women that publish the tidings are a great host":

"Man and woman fell together; together they must rise. After the resurrection, it was a woman who was first commissioned to carry the glad tidings of the risen Christ; and in Europe, where woman was in future days to be set free from many of the trammels of the East, it seems fitting that a woman should be the first believer. Not only, however, was Lydia a sort of first-fruit for Europe, but she probably also became a witness in her own city of Thyatira, in Asia. We do not know how the gospel was introduced into that city; but we are informed of the existence of a church there by the message of the ascended Christ, through his servant John, to "the angel of the church in Thyatira." Very likely Lydia became the herald of the gospel in her native place. Let the women who know the truth proclaim it; for why should their influence be lost? 'The Lord giveth the word; the women that publish the tidings are a great host.'"

12. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now you are putting words in my mouth just like you did with John MacArthur. That seems to be a pattern with you.

13. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure He does and His opinion is always 100% correct.
    You are not God. Your opinion is not 100% correct.
    We can disagree and God will still love us both.

14. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, sermon: "All at It" (1888)
    text: Acts 8:4 “Therefore they that were scattered abroad went everywhere preaching the word."

"so were there no exclusions on account of sex. Men and women were to spread abroad the knowledge of Jesus. We read that, “As for Saul, he made havoc of the Church, entering into every house and haling men and women committing them to prison. Therefore they that were scattered abroad” (and these must have been men and women) “went everywhere preaching the Word.” There are many ways in which women can fittingly proclaim the Word of the Lord and in some of these they can proclaim it more efficiently than men. There are minds that will be attracted by the tender, plaintive, winning manner in which the sister in Christ expresses herself."

What a stark contrast from Al Mohler's recent opinion/pronouncement that: "I think there’s just something about the order of creation that means that God intends for the preaching voice to be a male voice"

15. Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    David, you are being petty and trying to strain a gnat. Please let this go. It's not beneficial.

16. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Witnessing is not the same as preaching/teaching.

17. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not being petty. You have been bearing false witness all over this thread and need to repent. You literally just implied I was saying something I was not saying. You called MacArthur an anti-semite and refuse to retract the statement after being PROVEN wrong. You really need to stop and examine yourself.

18. Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon, sermon: "All at It" (1888)
    text: Acts 8:4 “Therefore they that were scattered abroad went everywhere preaching the word."

"so were there no exclusions on account of sex. Men and women were to spread abroad the knowledge of Jesus. We read that, “As for Saul, he made havoc of the Church, entering into every house and haling men and women committing them to prison. Therefore they that were scattered abroad” (and these must have been men and women) “went everywhere preaching the Word.”

19. Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the English word is preaching. The Greek is euangelizomenoi and means to spread the Gospel. In other words, witnessing. The word for teaching used in Timothy is didaskein.

20. Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here I must point out that we hold to doctrinal positions, but Baptists do not coerce those holding different positions except in the case of church discipline, a form of shunning. Since wars and murder originated out of doctrinal differences back in the day.

Still I and others that hold a doctrinal position to be obviously wrong according to scripture should judge it worthy of correction within the church. You and I, Particular and Jerome, would likely never go to the same church.

Christ will tell us which ministers of the Word trying to build up the Body are right one day with a salvation as through fire for those that built up with faulty things. The faithless inheriting eternal fire. (I do not subscribe to once saved always saved because I believe in apostasy as shown in Matthew 25 for instance)