Kosmos (translated as world)?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Mar 5, 2023.

1. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to A.W. Pink,
    “Kosmos is used of believers only: John 1:29; 3:16, 17; 6:33; 12;47; I Cor. 4:9; 2 Cor. 5:19. We leave our readers to turn to these passages, asking them to note, carefully, exactly what is said and predicated of "the world" in each place.”
    Well, lets look at them carefully and exactly from the NASB:

John 1:29 “The next day he saw Jesus coming to him, and said, behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”

Here the world is used to indicate not only the Jews, but also the Gentiles will be saved. It is unnatural and forced to assert that only the part of the world that will be saved is in view.

John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”

Here again, the world includes everybody, those that will be saved and those that will not be saved. God sent Christ into the world to save sinners. Whoever believes in Him will be saved.

John 3:17, “For God did not sent the Son into the World to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him.”

Another clear verse where world means everybody, and the offer of salvation is extended to everybody that hears the gospel and believes.

John 6:33, “For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world.”

Once again, world includes everybody. The verse does not say gives life to everybody in the world, only that Jesus gives life to anyone in the world that believes in Jesus.

John 12:46, “I have come as a light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness.”

This one is very clear, Jesus is the light of the world which is in darkness.

John 12:47, “And if anyone hears My sayings, and does not keep them, I do not judge him, for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.

This is crystal – the world includes both those that will not be saved and those that will be saved.

1 Corinthians 4:9, “For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men.”

Again, it is unnatural and forced to say something other than saints and sinners are in view. To assert otherwise is to miss the irony of the passage.

2 Corinthians 5:19, “…God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.”

Clearly we see the reconciliation of Christ on the cross as a completed work of reconciliation, available to the world, Jews and Gentiles, but the gift must be received. Therefore, verse 20, “we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.”

In summary, the premise that these passages use world to mean only the elect is without merit. The unforced and natural reading –saints and sinners, Jew and Gentiles, all of fallen mankind, fits in every case.

2. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 3:16, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.”

Here again, the world includes everybody, those that will be saved and those that will not be saved. God sent Christ into the world to save sinners. Whoever believes in Him will be saved.

John 3:16 (Interpretative translation) God loved humanity in this way, He gave His uniquely divine Son, so that everyone believing into Him would not perish but have everlasting life.

To claim God the Son was given so that the rocks and seas and plants would have everlasting life provided they believed is ludicrous.