Some Basic Info On John Calvin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rippon, Mar 15, 2006.

1. saturneptune New Member

Want to take a vote? You are not the standard of truth, and no one needs reminding.

2. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth is determined by a nose-count? Get real. But then,you never get real. You get ultra-fake. And you persist with lies,misrepresentations and ungodly conduct for which your comments have to be deleted on a regular basis.

3. saturneptune New Member

We will see how you do tomorrow on the posts for John Calvins arrest on an immorality charge and his stance on infant baptism. By the way, instead of focusing on my character, maybe you could explain why Calvin persecuted local autonomous churches of the day which was the only thing preserving the church Christ promised to preserve. Or are five year quotes more important to you?

4. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    History of the Great Reformation of the Sixteenth Century (Vol3)by J.H. Merle D'Aubigne:

"The calumnious and extrqavagant tales which have been circulated in regard to the person of John Calvin...These absurdities and others of the same stamp,which have been invented to the prejudice of the Reformer may be safely left to refute themselves without any effort on our part. In our own day,those among the Romish doctors who are not ashamed to employ the weapons of calumny,make a selection of these coarse and ridiculous stories..." 9page 489)

5. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Reformation :A narrative history related by contemporary observers and participants by Hans J. Hillerbrand (1964)

The author deals with Jacques Gruet. He quotes Calvin:"A note was found in a pulpit. It threatened us with death if we would not keep silent. I am sending you a copy. The council was perturbed by such audacity and ordered a strict investigatiion of the conspiracy..."

On 26th July 1547 sentence was passed against Gruet:

We Syndics and Judges of criminal matters of this city of Geneva,having heard the case against you,Jacques Gruet,son of Humbert Gruet of Geneva...find and hold that you have greatly offended and blasphemed God,transgressed against the Holy Scriptures and also undertaken matters against the authorities,insulted,threatened and slandered the servants of God and committed the crime of lese-majeste requiring bodily punishment...We condemn you,Jacques Gruit,to be taken to Champel and there have your body attached to a stake and burned to ashes and so you shall finish your days to give an example to thers who would commit the like. (page 200)

6. saturneptune New Member

This posting is nothing but misinformation and lies. You have no honor.

7. saturneptune New Member

The only tales about John Calvin is that he was a decent individual.

8. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm...you are speaking of Hans J. Hillerbrand? He has been described as "a recognized expert on the Reformation...was the editor in chief of the Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation...former president of both the American Academy of Religion and the American Society of Church History." But you want his works to be seen as misinformation and lies? And you say I have no honor? You have a big disconnect S/N.

9. saturneptune New Member

The big disconnect is calling my postings bogus. These are events that really happened, and you approve of them. So did you get a kick out of Hitler's holocaust also?

10. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sat/Nep 3/12/2012 8:04 PM

"Over time,I have gained more respect for Calvin the man. First of all,we really do not know exactly what happened in detail between Servetus,calvin and the state. We tend to compare what seems to be an outrageous act with the way our culture is today. Things were very different back then. Religion and state were very close if not the same.

Like everyone else,he was a flawed human being. The point is,compared with me,the man contributed to an understanding of Scripture that I will never begin to achieve,so who am I to criticize?"

11. saturneptune New Member

You just do not get it do you? Calvin is a murderer regardless of what I did or did not say. Most of these quotes you are producing.

12. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I still am able to produce more solid evidence that Sat/Nep is against himself. The subject of Calvin troubles your inner self as you have said.

13. saturneptune New Member

And another thing , people have the right to change their mind over the years. Again, this has nothing to do with the character of Calvin. If the Bible did not forbid it,

14. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have a revolving-door when it comes to "changing your mind." Your quote was made a bare 14 months ago. Shortly before that you were sending nastygrams about the man of Geneva. After March of 2012 you started up again in your hate-Calvin campaign. You go back and forth. Pretty unstable mind there.

Of course it does. You have done all you can to besmirch his name. Be honest for once.

Shall I list all the names you have called me over the years? I don't think any biblical injunction would restrict you in the least. But you have used the very same words in your last line with another poster. You can bad-mouth with the best of em' S/N.

15. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From your post #9 :"That goes right along with the character of Calvin."

Sat/Nep vs. Sat/Nep...yet again!

16. Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible forbids a number of things that you freely engage in here on the BB. You lie and slander at will. You defame and demean at the drop of a hat. No,I really don't think what the Bible forbids hinders you in the least.

17. saturneptune New Member

You are the one praising a murderer and liar. You are the one totally devoid of the fruits of the Holy Spirit. My guess is your mouth runs a lot and your work for the Lord is nonexistent. Guess what time the clock says? It says it is time for you to shut up.

18. saturneptune New Member

Not only me but many others. Any name used to describe you is justified.

19. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's just too good for words!

20. DrJamesAch New Member

"First of all,we really do not know exactly what happened in detail between Servetus,calvin and the state. We tend to compare what seems to be an outrageous act with the way our culture is today."-Rippon

We do know that he was burned, and we do know that it was for heresy. If what we compare with today nullifies what was practiced 400 years ago, then there should be some kind of recognizable transition in history where burning heretics for heresy was always acceptable until society changed its views on it later.

However, there is no practice of this by any of the apostles, nor is it taught in the NT period. Thus there is no link that shows a consistent practice of burning heretics from the time of the foundation of the church, to the time when this became a normal practice for the RCC.

Furthermore, since when did the standards of society dictate that burning someone alive for heresy is acceptable or not? Even if it was not considered an outrageous act in our culture today, that would not make it any less evil and unbiblical.