1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Willful Sin of Unbelief

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Charlie24, Oct 24, 2024 at 5:06 PM.

1. Charlie24

Charlie24 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've put this off as long as I could not wanting to face the reality of what I'm about to write. I feel ashamed and not worthy to even write about those before me who suffered so much for their faith in Christ. I've lived a life of leisure in Christ, and it breaks my heart to consider those of whom I'm about to write.

I'm sure everyone is acquainted with the Scripture where the apostle Paul took donations and gifts from the Gentile Churches to the sufferings saints in Jerusalem. I want to take a look at what those conditions were.

These are the days when the Sanhedrin (religious leaders of Israel) ruled with an iron fist. If the Sanhedrin could prove a Jew had any association whatsoever with the teachings of one called Jesus of Nazareth, they were ex-communicated from the temple, that meant all sources of learning for your children has ceased, if you pay rent you are forced out, if you have a job you're fired, and good luck finding another.

These Hebrew believers are small in number, and they are hard pressed just to survive. But Paul and I'm feel others also remembered them in their distress.

As time passed it is believed due to the persecution, some began to say, "how can this happen to us, we are the chosen of God. If this Jesus of Nazareth is really our Messiah, how can this be happening." All they had to do is renounce this Jesus of Nazareth, and all the privileges were reinstated. The persecution was over for them.

It was in this atmosphere that the Book of Hebrews was written. Some were called to forfeit there lives in the name of Christ, and some began turning back.

Let's not argue in this thread who wrote the Book of Hebrews, I will use the great Apostle Paul as the author, as the wisdom and knowledge in this Book far exceeds that of any other living person of that day.

It's almost certain that Hebrews was written from Italy, as the benediction says, "we in Italy salute you." We are certain that Paul was writing to the Hebrew believers, Heb. 3:1

"Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;" Paul writes to lift up Christ, make his case for Christ, in the midst of persecution.

Paul compares the Old Levitical Priesthood as the type and symbol of a coming High Priest and Mediator with a New Covenant with better promises. I might add, Paul is preaching Christ from the the Law in an astounding manner, a manner in which the Hebrews could understand, being that they were very familiar with the Law. But Paul is filling in the gaps with Christ in the Law. He had their total attention!

As Paul is bringing hope to the Hebrews and showing them from their own Law who Christ really is, he begins to issue the warnings of "Departing from the living God/ that we are made partakers of Christ if we hold our faith to the end. He issues this first warning in context with the illustration of their forefathers leaving Egypt and perishing in the wilderness, where they turned on God. Paul is showing them that they are in the same position as their forefathers, on the verge of turning on God. This was covered in my last thread, "Unconditional Salvation."

Still building on Christ, Paul comes to his second warning, Heb. 6:4-6

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Paul is here speaking to born-again Hebrew believers, warning them of the "unforgivable sin." The "willful sin" of turning from Christ, from faith to unbelief.

Remember when Christ first introduced the "unforgivable sin" as blasphemy of the Holy Spirit? The Pharisees were accusing Christ of performing miracles by the power of Satan. That was a direct insult to the Holy Spirit that cannot and will not be forgiven in unbelief.

Paul is warning these Hebrew believers that they are about to do the same thing, forcing the Holy Spirit to leave because Christ has been rejected. No faith no Holy Spirit, and they will have insulted the Holy Spirit and put Christ to open shame if they decide to denounce Christ.

So Paul continues to upbraid Christ, and comes to his final warning bringing them face to face with the reality and result of departing from Christ. Paul has slowly worked his way bit by bit to this harsh reality.

Heb. 10:26-29

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?"

Now, let's backup a few verse to see what Paul is discussing when he reaches vs. 26-29.

Vs. 22) Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of FAITH,
    Vs. 23) Let us HOLD FAST the profession of our FAITH without wavering.

Paul is entering his final warning with Holding Fast to Faith.

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,"

Paul is not referring to acts of sin when he says "for if we sin willfully.. he is speaking of a particular sin.

The sin of willfully turning from Christ back to unbelief. Scholars call it "the Willful Sin."

"There remains no more sacrifice" is saying that there is no other sacrifice that can forgive sins, it's only Christ, there is no other.

If they do this they have trodden under foot the Son of God and counted the Blood they once trusted in as an unclean thing.

2. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t see them as Hebrew believers. I see them like King Agrippa; “Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.”

The epistle was written to get them beyond the almost to the reality.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 3:1 NASB
    Therefore, holy brothers and sisters, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession: Jesus;

1) The verse address the author's siblings in Christ, and not blood relatives or Jews. The reason, they have been made holy.

2) Partakers of a heavenly calling refers to our vocation as Christ's ambassadors.

3) For an example of faithful service,consider how Christ served His Father in heaven.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 3:12 NASB
    Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

1) Note, the author does not refer to these "brethren" as holy. They could not be holy, if they have an evil heart (unregenerate) of unbelief.

2) To "take heed" refers to altering our direction in light of something, whether a landmark or adverse information.

3) Any of you refers to the possibility some of the professing believers had not actually been born anew.
    Note that all believers are to examine ourselves at communion to see if we are "of the faith."

4) "In departing" refers to leaving God. Obviously this does not refer to someone who has been spiritually born anew, somehow causing his "un-rebirth!" No, it refers to a professing believer stopping or lessening his or her "little faith" in God and His Christ.

In verse 13 we see that we are to strive to become more Christ-like, and continue to exhort our professing siblings in Christ to become more Christ-like. Over time, some of these who only actually put their toe in (so to speak) will come to the realization they need to rededicate their lives fully to Christ.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 6:4 NASB
    For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,

1) Those who have once been "enlightened." Does this refer to receiving the gospel with understanding, or having been "born anew?" Receiving the gospel, but for whatever reason the resultant faith was NOT credited as righteousness, and the person was NOT transferred into Christ and born anew.

2) What is the heavenly gift, the gospel message (which is the work product of the Holy Spirit) or is the "heavenly gift" salvation? The gospel message. Why, because the gospel is the work product of the Holy Spirit, thus to hear and understand the gospel is to be made a partaker of the Holy Spirit.

Why is it impossible to restore them? Because as long as they reject the gospel (or do not fully embrace it) their faith will not be credited by God as righteousness! The change must come from within the "almost persuaded." Sadly scripture says there are few that find the narrow way to eternal life.

#5 Van, Oct 25, 2024 at 11:15 AM
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2024 at 11:20 AM
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The unforgivable sin is the rejection of the gospel!

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Hebrews 6:9 we see the address shifts again from brethren to "beloved" which is used of those in God's family, those born anew as children of God.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once a person is sealed in Christ with the Holy Spirit, that union is forever according to scripture. Yes we can "quench" the Spirit, close down its influence on us, but we will never "force it out."

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 10:29 NASB
    How much more severe punishment do you think he will deserve who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?

1) Does having been sanctified in this context refer to having been transferred into Christ spiritually? Nope. When Christ inaugurated the New Covenant in His Blood, everyone, those to be saved and those never to be saved (2 Peter 2:1), were purchased and thus set under the New Covenant.

2) Those that reject the gospel of the New Covenant insult the Spirit of Grace, which is "unforgivable."

10. Charlie24

Charlie24 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The blood of the covenant "by which HE WAS SANCTIFIED."

What does it mean to be sanctified by the Blood of the Covenant?

Does it not mean you have been set apart by God, a believer?

Is this another one of your endless, fruitless arguments, Van?

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we keep on rejecting the gospel, there is no longer a means of reconciliation for us. Hebrews 10:26.

Try addressing points 1 and 2 of the post, Sir, and stop with your fruitless insults.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a person continues to reject the gospel, there is no longer a means of reconciliation available to that person. Hebrews 10:26.

13. Charlie24

Charlie24 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true! But Paul is not addressing the lost, he's addressing the born-again turning back on their faith and rejecting Christ.

If you can't see that in the OP, well, the ship has passed you by.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These falling away are described in the letter as brethren, partakers of the Holy Spirit, tasted the good word of God, received the knowledge of the truth, sanctified by the blood of the covenant, the LORD's people. Doesn't smack of 'almost' to me.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Charlie24

26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more a sacrifice for sins,
    27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and a fierceness of fire which shall devour the adversaries.

Since the letter is addressing a particular sin of a particular people in a particular time, what do you think this particular judgement is? Hell?

16. Charlie24

Charlie24 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good and fair question!

The Scripture says beyond any shadow of doubt, "and whosoever's name was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the Lake of Fire."

The question for all of us is this, how do I know for sure my name is written in that Book of Life?

The apostle Paul is the only author of Scripture who tells and explains to us exactly how to be saved.

All other accounts of salvation in Scripture are in passing, not written directly to us with explanation. They are accounts of what took place, not a direct explanation of how to be saved!

Christ gave only to Paul the meaning of the "New Covenant" in the beginning through a revelation while the 12 apostles were still trying to figure out if the Gentiles could be saved. I can prove this in Scripture.

How did Paul explain how to be saved? It's simple and direct, no add on's no take away's, just simply follow his Christ given command and it's done! It only requires a truthful and sincere heart of repentance before God.

Rom. 10:8-10
    "But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 5:4, For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

Revelation 3:5, He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Charlie24

Charlie24 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, if you don't understand exactly what Paul is saying, understand this one thing, it is the key to salvation.

"For with the heart man believes unto righteousness."

The is justification by faith alone, ky. Man can only be declared righteous before God by faith alone from the heart. That faith must be in the finished work of Christ alone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 10:25-26
    not abandoning our own meeting together, as is the habit of some people, but encouraging one another; and all the more as you see the day drawing near. For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Some claim the author of Hebrews was addressing born anew believers. This claim is mistaken.

If we are like some people, if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the gospel, we have rejected the gospel or at least did not fully embrace it.

This is not rocket science.

20. Charlie24

Charlie24 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, that's the way of some folks, pulling out verses and making a point ignoring the context.

That's the reason false doctrine is alive and well.