Where is the IFB Sytematic Theology?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Luke2427, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I further recommend Francis Wayland's, Notes on The Principles & Practices of Baptist Churches.

http://standardbearer.org/Shop/Detail.aspx?

This volume is a 6 x 9 Paperback. It contains - 352 pages
    Original Publisher: Sheldon, Blakeman & Co. - New York
    Original Pub. Date: 1857

"Francis Wayland was president of Brown University from 1827 - 1855. His object in this volume is to present a popular view of the distinctive beliefs of the Baptist denomination. The book is both popular and practical, extending counsel to the churches themselves as well as informed apologia to the non-Baptist world. Wayland's special emphasis is on the ministry: how defined, how enrolled, how prepared, and how then to serve its function." - AYER COMPANY PUBLISHERS

This link leads to fifty five books in the Baptist Standard Bearer Distinctives Series

http://standardbearer.org/Shop/Search.aspx?cat=dist

From what I can recognize, the authors lived for the most in the 19th century. That's long before the current IFB movement saw the light of day.

2. JesusFan Well-Known Member

they would be seeing themselves buliding theology upon the Apsotles, and also 'historic" Christian doctrines from those group NOT RCC through the ages then?

Would take into account the reformation for example?

3. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, they tried not to re-invent the wheel. Like eating fish, they were good at eating the meat and spitting out the bones.

4. DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And the ability to mock those who sincerely believe the truths of the Bible are good? That is what the RCC did as they went on their crusades and massacred such people as the Albigenses.

5. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke may be in completely uncharted terrritory here. So far he's shown no knowledge of the Albigenses or any other evangelical, historical, non-RC groups.

6. Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the least, I recommend he read Verduin's Reformers and Their Stepchildren. The late Dr. Verduin can be considered neutral on the matter as he was the Dutch Reformed chaplain at Calvin College.

7. Luke2427 Active Member

Yes. I have. And? Are you going to substantiate that claim or just hurl unfounded accusations?

8. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have what? Read all of these? And what accusation of mine are you talking about? And what claim are you talking about?

9. olefundybob New Member

An IFB Systematic Theolohy

Try Systematic Theology, by Rolland D. McCune, 3 Volumes.
    He was President of Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary, and taught for 14 years at Central Baptist Theological Seminary, Minneapolis. He is a fundamental Baptist in Doctrine and practice. Available through the seminary bookstore or at Amazon. This is a scholarly work by a Dispensationalist.

10. Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John, here's a weird question. You and I are martial artists. 1,000 years from know, where will the authentic Jeet Kune Do be? From those who can quote "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" and practice its concepts and training regimen? Or will it be people who can trace their lineage of instructors back to Bruce Lee ( I come from the Taky Kimura lineage! Oh yeah? Well I come from the Dan Inosanto lineage!).

Can such a discussion shed light on the present discussion or not? Just thought I'd throw that out there. Luke, don't mess with John of Japan--he knows Wing Chun kung fu; he knows 400 ways to slap your arms.

Your turn, John! :tongue3:

11. seekingthetruth New Member

Yeah but Luke is an expert on EVERYTHING else. Don't believe me? Just ask him. He will tell you that he knows everything about everything.

John

12. Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm poking John of Japan in the ribs a little. I'd rather tell Mom I married another man than tell her I learned wing chun kung fu. :laugh:

So..... how are we to view church history? How important is it? Or are we better off learning something else?

13. Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the first imperative is to learn some basic theology, but when you've done that, get into Church history. First off, it's fascinating and well worth doing in its own right. Secondly, if you understand how things came about, it's easier to judge if they're good or bad. Thirdly, just about every error and heresy has already happened years ago and the battles we are fighting today our forefathers fought before us. If we know how they went about it, it may be helpful to us today.

Steve

14. glfredrick New Member

All this "dialog" and still no IFB independent theology that does not derive from that commonly held by Christians in all ages. :BangHead:

Guess you all are not quite as independent as you think you are.

15. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey confidence is not a bad thing:laugh:

16. Amy.G New Member

Proverbs 16:18
    Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.

17. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heaven forbid Squire that you should advise some people to read books (other than the Bible) to educate & enlighten themselves.....:laugh:

18. Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was a joke....get it :laugh::laugh:

19. seekingthetruth New Member

Well Fred,

First of all, the argument made by you and Luke that IFB should have it's own theology is silly. We hold to the teachings of the New Testament church. All denominations hold to the same thing to one degree or another. IFB doesn't claim to have any special doctrine that it came up with. As a matter of fact, the IFB church I go to is identical in doctrine and beliefs as the SBC church I grew up in 40 years ago. What does set us apart from SBC now is that we still hold to conservative views.

As far as independent? You obviously don't know what the term means as it is applied to IFB.

"The word "Independent" means the church is not a member of any council, convention or is a part of any hierarchy outside the local congregation. A true Independent Baptist church governs itself apart from any outside agency and would not be apart of a national or international denomination that would exercise authority over the local church. Thus, the name "independent" means the church patterns itself after the New Testament example and stands alone under the authority of the scriptures. Independent churches are autonomous assemblies having no organization over them in authority. Free from outside interference, they direct their own affairs under the authority of the New Testament Scriptures. "

It's about being autonomous in church government, not independent in doctrine.

You and Luke have this vendetta against IFB and have come up with this goofy argument that IFB should have it's own set of doctrines created by itself. It took the line of Christians all the way back to the Apostles to bring us to where we are today. And it took scholars from all different denominations to peice together the doctrine we have today.

The fact that on this thread Luke has called IFB a cult, bastards, and theives, and the fact that you don't know what independent means, tells me that this whole thread is really about your hatred for IFB, not about church history.

John

20. Luke2427 Active Member

Yes. I am familiar with them.

Your claim is that I am not.

But that's all you did.
    You didn't make a point from the existence of these historical groups.
    You didn't even attempt to establish that the existence of these historical groups contradicts anything I have been arguing.

You just said that apparently luke isn't familiar with them- which is incorrect.

You didn't try to substantiate the claim that I am unfamiliar with them.

You just said it. That's it.

That's not an argument.