1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grade Level

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Mar 22, 2009.

?
  1. 3rd grade

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. 5th grade

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. 7th grade

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. 9th grade

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. 11 grade

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  6. college freshman

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. college junior

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. masters

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  9. I just dont know

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  10. Other answer

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the U.S. at the end of grade 12 a university bound student can go to the university. Grade eight is when a student goes onto high school. It is the end of elementary school.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part of the nation are you from? In my neck of the woods at the conclusion of grade 6 a student enters Junior High School. Upon completion of grade 8 one enters Senior High.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Rippon, I did not doubt your testimony, elsewhere.

However, I did not expect that I would ever personally encounter "Exhibit 'A'." along the way, either. :tear:

Ed

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will you please provide a little context? I have no idea what you are referencing.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I can understand how the Moderator might have seen my response as such, with only a short glance.

However, remark was directed at no one individual, but rather the general point of thread, and the contraction of "let's" is that of the collective "let us" with the collective "us" being inclusive of all, thus including poster along with every other individual. Ergo, if statement is 'personal', it is also a self-directed attack and a self-inclusive one as well.

BTW, "let us" is the ONLY definition for "let's" and I'm fairly sure that "ONLY" is a word used on this forum for which the definition is very well known.

While it has been more than 50 years since I was in the 5th grade, I'm still fairly certain that we had covered the definition of both "only" and "let's" long before I was 'promoted' to the 6th grade.

[Sigh!]

Ed

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know......................been so long ago I don't remember what you even posted! :smilewinkgrin:

9. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Some prophets & apostles were "unlearned" (perhaps like Amos, or Peter) while others were highly educated (Moses, Paul), but all were attempting to write on an 'adult' level. This should certainly result in different (in modern terms) 'graded' reading levels from book to book (and maybe in some cases, even within a book).

Should a translation attempt to 'even out' the reading levels across the entire canon? If so, should they always 'raise' all the books to meet the highest literary level, 'lower' all the writings to lowest-common-denominator, or seek some middle ground (average)? Would elavating the ancient words of God be 'adding' to the Bible? Would simplifying the original reading of God words be 'taking away' content from the Scriptures?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some schools start junior high in 6th and some 7th, and some end at 8th and some and at 9th. Some districts do not have a junior high. Some have an elementary school that ends at 8th.

Some of the more progressive schools in larger schooll distose students typically do better.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh, come again? What is/are "schooll distose"?

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Since "All Scripture is 'God-breathed-out'" (II Tim. 3:16) and "holy men spoke" under the direct inspiration and leading of the Holy Spirit (II Pet. 1:16-21), I wonder if some (not you, franklinmonroe, by any stretch here) also consider the triune God as 'unlearned' as well? :tear:

Ed

#152 EdSutton, May 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2009
  13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I should have written

Some schools start junior high in 6th and some 7th, and some end at 8th and some and at 9th. Some districts do not have a junior high. Some have an elementary school that ends at 8th.

Some of the more progressive schools in larger school districts have students who stay in junior high school until 9th grade because they typically do better when they enter high school as sophomore rather than as a freshman.