1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured John Calvin vs Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by SavedByGrace, Jan 11, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin vs Calvinism

This study is on the “L” of the acronym TULIP, which were drawn up at the Synod of Dort, between 1618-1619, by “Calvinists”, who were supposed to be followers of the teaching of the French theologian, John Calvin.

“L” is defined by the website, gotquestions.org, as:

“Limited Atonement - Because God determined that certain ones should be saved as a result of God’s unconditional election, He determined that Christ should die for the elect alone. All whom God has elected and for whom Christ died will be saved” (What is Calvinism and is it biblical? What are the five points of Calvinism? | GotQuestions.org)

This is to do with the extent of the Death of Jesus Christ. Did Jesus die for the whole world without exception, as most Calvinists/Reformed teach, or, did He die only for the “elect” only?

It is very clear from the examples from the commentaries of John Calvin, that he did not believe or teach, that Jesus Christ died only for the “elect”, but, in fact, uses the phrase, “everyone without exception”, and, not as “Calvinists” believe, “everyone without distinction”.

John Calvin on John 3:16

That whosoever believeth on him may not perish. It is a remarkable commendation of faith, that it frees us from everlasting destruction. For he intended expressly to state that, though we appear to have been born to death, undoubted deliverance is offered to us by the faith of Christ; and, therefore, that we ought not to fear death, which otherwise hangs over us. And he has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers. Such is also the import of the term World, which he formerly used; for though nothing will be found in the world that is worthy of the favor of God, yet he shows himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when he invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ, which is nothing else than an entrance into life” (emphasis mine)

Calvin on Mark 14:24, where Jesus says that His death is a “ransom for many”.

Which is shed for many. By the word many he means not a part of the world only, but the whole human race

The context of these comments by Calvin, are very important.

“And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." 23 Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. 24 And He said to them, "This is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many.” NKJV

Here we read of Jesus Christ giving the “Lord’s Supper” in the bread and wine, which represent His Body and Blood offered on the cross for lost sinners. Jesus’ use of “shed for many”, Calvin rightly says, is NOT “a part of the world”, as in the “elect”, which is the false teaching of some “Calvinists/Reformed”; but for “the WHOLE HUMAN RACE”. No doubt here about the extent of the Death of Jesus Christ, as Calvin understood what the Bible says.

Further, we also read in the Account in Luke’s Gospel, that Judas was present for the Lord’s Supper, and actually took part in the bread and wine.

“In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood. But behold, the hand of him who betrays me is with me on the table” Luke 22:20-21

“poured out for YOU”, also includes Judas.

Some argue, that the Greek does not have the word “is”, which is in italics in Versions like the King James. However, the Greek participle παραδιδόντος, used here, “of him who betrays”, is in the present tense, which means the use of “is”, is correct.

Some honest Reformed theologians actually admit to this fact.

Matthew Henry,

"By placing this after the institution of the Lord’s supper, though in Matthew and Mark it is placed before it, it seems plain that Judas did receive the Lord’s supper, did eat of that bread and drink of that cup; for, after the solemnity was over, Christ said, Behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table."

John Gill

"From Luke's account it appears most clearly, that Judas was not only at the passover, but at the Lord's supper, since this was said when both were over"

Jesus Christ shed His Blood even for Judas!

Calvin on John 1:29

Who taketh away the sin of the world. He uses the word sin in the singular number, for any kind of iniquity; as if he had said, that every kind of unrighteousness which alienates men from God is taken away by Christ. And when he says, the sin Of The World, he extends this favor indiscriminately to the whole human race; that the Jews might not think that he had been sent to them alone. But hence we infer that the whole world is involved in the same condemnation; and that as all men without exception are guilty of unrighteousness before God, they need to be reconciled to him. John the Baptist, therefore, by speaking generally of the sin of the world, intended to impress upon us the conviction of our own misery, and to exhort us to seek the remedy. Now our duty is, to embrace the benefit which is offered to all, that each of us may be convinced that there is nothing to hinder him from obtaining reconciliation in Christ, provided that he comes to him by the guidance of faith.”

Note again the language that Calvin uses here. “indiscriminately to the whole human race”; “all men without exception…they need to be reconciled to him”; “offered to all, that each of us”. Nothing LIMITED in the extent of the Death of Jesus Christ here by John Calvin!

Calvin on Romans 5:18

“He makes this favor common to all, because it is propounded to all, and not because it is in reality extended to all; for though Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world, and is offered through God's benignity indiscriminately to all, yet all do not receive him”

Yet again the language used by Calvin, is clearly for a UNIVERSAL Death of Jesus Christ!

How can those who claim to be “Calvinists”, and say they follow the teaching of John Calvin, continue to believe in the UNBIBLICAL HERESY, that Jesus Christ only died for the “elect”? They honestly cannot call themselves “Calvinists”, and continue to teach that Jesus did not die for the ENTIRE HUMAN RACE, and the Inspired Word of God clearly Teaches.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is important to remember that the scope of the Atonement was a question that arose after John Calvin. Given the arguments surrounding the issue we can't know where Calvin would have stood.

Arminianism also was within orthodox Calvinism for some time. James Arminius, for example, died a Calvinist (his belief was within Calvinism until after his death).

3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have quoted directly from the commentaries written by John Calvin, and it is very clear that Calvin believed in the Death of Jesus Christ for the entire human race

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all I'm a Sovereign Grace Primitive Baptist and the term TULIP was not coined by John Calvin, it came later... Now to the question, the Death Of Jesus Christ was only for those his Father gave him and no other... His resurrection is for the entire human race, if not how are the just an unjust raised?... Those who belong to him for eternal life, those who do not for eternal damnation... Those are my thoughts... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He did...I agree.

My point is that no Calvinist at that time held the doctrine of Limited Atonement as it was future to Calvin.

We cannot say that Calvin, if faced with the arguments that occurred after his death, would have remained steadfast in his view. We simply do not know.

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we do know is what Calvin has written as I have quoted in the OP concerning his teaching on the extent of the Death of Jesus Christ, and it was not limited in any way

Thanks for your contributions

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that Calvin coined TULIP, the OP shows that Calvin believed Jesus Christ Died for the entire human race and not only for the elect

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. No Calvinist (at that time) limited Christ's Atonement in scope.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Particular Redemption
    A Sermon Delivered February 28, 1858, by C. H. SPURGEON

V. The greatness of Christ’s redemption may be measured
    by the EXTENT OF THE DESIGN OF IT.

"I must now return to that controversial point again. We are often told (I mean those of us who are commonly nicknamed by the title of Calvinists—and we are not very much ashamed of that; we think that Calvin, after all, knew more about the Gospel than almost any man who has ever lived, uninspired).

"We are often told that we limit the atonement of Christ,
    because we say that Christ has not made a satisfaction for all men,
    or all men would be saved.

"Now, our reply to this is, that, on the other hand,
    our opponents limit it: we do not.

"The Arminians say, Christ died for all men. Ask them what they mean by it. Did Christ die so as to secure the salvation of all men? They say, „No, certainly not.”

" We ask them the next question—Did Christ die so as to secure the salvation of any man in particular? They answer „No.” They are obliged to admit this, if they are consistent. They say, „No; Christ has died that any man may be saved if”—and then follow certain conditions of salvation.

"We say, then, we will go back to the old statement—Christ did not die so as beyond a doubt to secure the salvation of anybody, did He? You must say „No;” you are obliged to say so, for you believe that even after a man has been pardoned, he may yet fall from grace, and perish.

"Now, who is it that limits the death of Christ? Why, you. You say that Christ did not die so as to infallibly secure the salvation of anybody.

"We beg your pardon, when you say we limit Christ’s death;
    we say, „No, my dear sir, it is you that do it.”

"We say Christ so died that He infallibly secured the salvation of a multitude that no man can number, who through Christ’s death not only may be saved but are saved, must be saved, and cannot by any possibility run the hazard of being anything but saved.

"You are welcome to your atonement; you may keep it.

"We will never renounce ours for the sake of it.

"Now, beloved, when you hear any one laughing or jeering at a limited atonement, you may tell him this. General atonement is like a great wide bridge with only half an arch; it does not go across the stream: it only professes to go half way; it does not secure the salvation of anybody.

"Now, I had rather put my foot upon a bridge as narrow as Hungerford, which went all the way across, than on a bridge that was as wide as the world, if it did not go all the way across the stream.

"I am told it is my duty to say that all men have been redeemed, and I am told that there is a Scriptural warrant for it—

Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.”

"Now, that looks like a very, very great argument indeed on the other side of the question.

"For instance, look here. „The whole world is gone after him.” Did all the world go after Christ? „

"Then went all Judea, and were baptized of him in Jordan.” Was all Judea, or all Jerusalem baptized in Jordan? „

'Ye are of God, little children,” and „the whole world lieth in the wicked one.”

"Does „the whole world” there mean everybody? If so, how was it, then, that there were some who were „of God?”

"The words „world and „all” are used in seven or eight senses in Scripture;
    and it is very rarely that „all” means all persons, taken individually

"The words are generally used to signify that Christ has redeemed some of all sorts—some Jews, some Gentiles, some rich, some poor, and has not restricted His redemption to either Jew or Gentile.

"Leaving controversy, however, I will now answer a question.

"Tell me, then, sir, whom did Christ die for?

"Will you answer me a question or two, and I will tell you whether He died for you.

"Do you want a Saviour? Do you feel that you need a Saviour? Are you this morning conscious of sin? Has the Holy Spirit taught you that you are lost?

"Then Christ died for you and you will be saved.

"Are you this morning conscious that you have no hope in the world but Christ?

"Do you feel that you of yourself cannot offer an atonement that can satisfy God’s justice? Have you given up all confidence in yourselves? And can you say upon your bended knees, „Lord, save, or I perish”?

"Christ died for you.

"If you are saying this morning, „I am as good as I ought to be; I can get to Heaven by my own good works,” then, remember, the Scripture says of Jesus,

„I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

"So long as you are in that state I have no atonement to preach to you.

"But if this morning you feel guilty, wretched, conscious of your guilt, and are ready to take Christ to be your only Saviour, I can not only say to you that you may be saved, but what is better still, that you will be saved.

"When you are stripped of everything, but hope in Christ, when you are prepared to come empty-handed and take Christ to be your all, and to be yourself nothing at all, then you may look up to Christ, and you may say, „Thou dear, thou bleeding Lamb of God! thy griefs were endured for me; by thy stripes I am healed, and by thy sufferings I am pardoned.”

"And then see what peace of mind you will have;
    for if Christ has died for you, you cannot be lost.

"God will not punish twice for one thing.
    If God punished Christ for your sin,
    He will never punish you.

„Payment, God’s justice cannot demand, first,
    at the bleeding surety’s hand, and then again at mine.”

"We can today, if we believe in Christ, march to the very throne of God, stand there, and if it is said, „Art thou guilty?” we can say, „Yes, guilty.”

"But if the question is put, „What have you to say why you should not be punished for your guilt?” We can answer, „Great God, thy justice and thy love are both guarantees that thou wilt not punish us for sin; for didst thou not punish Christ for sin for us?

"How canst thou, then, be just—how canst thou be God at all,
    if thou dost punish Christ the substitute,
    and then punish man himself afterwards?”

"Your only question is, „Did Christ die for me?”

"And the only answer we can give is—

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation,
    that Christ came into the world to save sinners."

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the actual words of John Calvin on the passages I have shown in the OP? Quoting from OTHERS makes no difference!

11. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 5 points of the TULIP Doctrines of Grace
    are Eternal Truths of The Gospel, in the Word of God.

Over 45 years in church and Bible College, where everyone I have associated and fellowshipped with was a TULIP Baptist, I only heard the name "Calvin" once or twice or maybe three times, until I came here to the BB.

What the Bible teaches matters.

And the Doctrines of Grace are taught in essentially every chapter.

"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS:
    for he shall save his people from their sins
    ,"
    in Matthew 1:22 is all you need to know.

Panic and desperation don't lend themselves to following along with things like "many" puts a restriction on "all", and not the other way around, or the word "world" often referring to the Gentiles, who in Biblical times were spoken of as "the world", etc., so never mind, you're in no temperament to discern Spiritual things.

12. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 3:16-18 says that this is UNBIBLICAL!

13. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't feel bad. YOU are a Gentile!

The Gentiles particularly, and God's elect among them, are meant;

"who are often called "the world", and "the whole world",
    and "
    the nations of the world", as distinct from the Jews;

see
    Romans 11:12, compared with Matthew 6:32.

"The Jews had the same distinction we have now,
    the church and the world;

"the former they took to themselves,
    and the latter they gave to all the nations around:

"hence we often meet with this distinction, Israel,
    and the nations of the world; on those words,

""let them bring forth their witness", that they may be justified, Isaiah 43:9
    (say (b) the doctors) these are Israel; "or let them hear and say it is truth",
    these are "the nations of the world".''

"Now, in opposition to such a notion, our Lord addresses this Jew;

"and it is as if he had said, you Rabbins say, that when the Messiah comes, only the Israelites, the peculiar favourites of God, shall share in the blessings that come by, and with him; and that the Gentiles shall reap no advantage by him, being hated of God, and rejected of him: but I tell you,

God has so loved the Gentiles, as well as the Jews,

"that he gave his only begotten Son; to, and for them, as well as for the Jews; to be a covenant of the people, the Gentiles, the Saviour of them, and a sacrifice for them; a gift which is a sufficient evidence of his love to them; it being a large and comprehensive one, an irreversible and unspeakable one;

"no other than his own Son by nature, of the same essence, perfections,
    and glory with him;

"begotten by him in a way inconceivable and expressible by mortals;
    and his only begotten one;

"the object of his love and delight, and in whom he is ever well pleased;

"and yet, such is his love to the Gentiles, as well as Jews, that he has given him, in human nature, up, into the hands of men, and of justice, and to death itself:

"that whosoever believeth in him, whether Jew or Gentile,

"should not perish, but have everlasting life; See Gill on John 3:15.

John 3:17
    "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world;
    but that the world through him might be saved.

"For God sent not his Son into the world,.... God did send his Son into the world in the likeness of sinful flesh, being made of a woman, and made under the law; and which is an instance of his great love, and not of any disrespect to his Son, or of any inequality between them: but then this was not to condemn the world; even any part of it, or any in it: not the Gentiles, as the Jews thought he would;

"for though God had suffered them to walk in their own ways, and had winked at, or overlooked the times of their ignorance, and had sent no prophet unto them, nor made any revelation of his will, or any discovery of his special grace unto them; yet he sent his Son now, not to destroy them for their idolatry, and wickedness, but to be the Saviour of them: nor the Jews;

"for as impenitent and unbelieving, and as wicked as they were, he did not accuse them to the Father, nor judge and condemn them; he was to come again in power and great glory, when he would take vengeance on them, and cause wrath to come upon them to the uttermost, for their disbelief and rejection of him;

"but this was not his business now: nor the wicked of the world in general; to judge, and condemn them, will be his work, when he comes a second time, in the day God has appointed to judge the world in righteousness.

"But the end of his mission, and first coming is,

"that the world through him might be saved; even the world of the elect in general, whom God determined to save, and has chosen, to obtain salvation by Jesus Christ, and has appointed Christ to be the salvation of;

"and who being sent, came into the world to seek and save them;

"and his chosen people among the Gentiles in particular: wherefore he is said to be God's salvation to the ends of the earth: and all the ends of the earth are called upon to look unto him, and be saved by him, Isaiah 49:6.

John 3:18
    "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned,.... Whether Jew or Gentile, because a believer is openly in Christ; and there is no condemnation to those that are in him: and though the sentence of death passed upon all in Adam, and judgment came upon all men to condemnation in him;

"yet this sentence being executed on Christ, the surety of his people,

"who has been condemned to death,
    and has suffered it in their stead, his death is a security to them

"from all condemnation:
    and they are delivered by him

"from the curse and condemnation of the law:
    and having in conversion openly passed from death to life,
    they shall never enter into condemnation;

"and this is the happy case of every one that believes in Christ:

"but he that believeth not is condemned already. The Persic version renders it, "from the beginning"; he remains under the sentence of condemnation passed in Adam upon him; the law accuses him, and pronounces him guilty before God;

"he is under the curse of it, and it is a ministration of condemnation and death to him; nor has he any thing to secure him from its charge, curse, and condemnation: this must be understood of one that is a final unbeliever, or that lives, and dies, in a state of impenitence, and unbelief:

"because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God; whom God has sent to be the Saviour of lost sinners, and to deliver them from wrath to come; and there is no other name but his, whereby men can be saved; so that such that do not believe in him, must be damned."

14. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. Just remember that Calvin did have a high view of divine determinism. The OP is very good as long as your purpose is not to try to say that Calvin would have been happy with the idea that Christ died for everyone and now it's completely up to you to figure out what to do in response to this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin was pretty plain that he did not believe in limited atonement. Calvin would not have been a good Calvinist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

Not at all.

Not in the least.

Good shot!

17. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism was built on Calvin's work. Theodore Beza is just as much the author of Calvinism as John Calvin. Limited Atonement is the logical conclusion of Calvin's theology, but Calvin himself did not follow it to that conclusion.

19. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is dealing with the Jews and Gentiles, nothing to do with the Church

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvin is very clear that he doesn't believe in any limit on the Death of Jesus Christ. He uses the phrase, EVERYONE WITHOUT EXCEPTION

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.