1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Richard Rohr’s explanation of the Trinity

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a bit long but I posted it as a different point of view thing. Perhaps we could even view it then discuss it maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can explain it.

Isaiah 40:25
    To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.

Isaiah 46:5
    To whom will ye liken me, and make [me] equal, and compare me, that we may be like?

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s to be expected ;)

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m not expecting agreement but well perhaps dialog about this guys content… maybe not. :Laugh

5. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I listened until he started extolling “The Shack”, which is pure blasphemy. He apparently approves Catholicism, also. I won’t pollute my mind with anything else he has to say. To me, he is very aberrant.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It makes a lot of sense to me. I like his metaphor of empty space in the atom and understanding God as a verb. One of the challenges of Christian mystics is that there are so few of us. Most of the time we end up being misunderstood as heretics when we are in fact connecting to God in a very deep Biblical way.

I've often said that if the doctrine of the Trinity helps you in your personal journey and relationship with God, then believe it. If a non-trinitarian doctrine makes more sense to you, then go with that. The mystical path deemphasizes the importance of beliefs and emphasizes experience and personal relationship with God. Ultimately, your beliefs need to be a help to you and not a hindrance on your journey. When you die, God's not going to sit in judgement of you with a checklist of beliefs that you should have. God's going to see how you lived your life, how you treated your fellow man, how you made others feel, etc. And it's not going to be in judgement, it's going to be done in love.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture warns us that people would follow many teachers in the latter times that would de-emphasize true doctrine, because they would have ears itching to hear things like they want it to be, instead of wanting the truth. Some even go so far as to deny Christ.

The wise believer searches for God’s truth, as one would search for pure gold, and not accept a phony substitute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thankfully, though, at least what I saw in my Kindle copy of the book, Universal Christ does not have an imprimatur or official approval from any bishop. That’s good because in The Universal Christ, there are some theological doozies we can call them.

Another Catholic priest that crossed the line and was eventually silenced by the Vatican and then entered The Episcopal Church was Matthew Fox who wrote: 'The Coming of the Cosmic Christ' and 'Original Blessing'. I read both and would put them in the same category of Shelby Spong. Pure heresy.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. The Trinity IS the explanation.

One LORD God who is revealed being three distinct Persons. The Father, the Son of God and the Holy Spirit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then do you understand why, God being three distinct Persons to be a matter of salvation?

2 John 1:9, ". . . Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. . . ."

Richard Rohr’s explanation of the Trinity

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes… these guys are all components of the Emergent church (ie progressive). Welcome to the new Christianity (a con game ).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do understand that Richard Rohr does emphasize the Trinity don’t you. He is just emphasizing the Christ as an eternal being that has been there since creation. Jesus is Christ become incarnate to help humanity connect the dots, see an emphatic savior.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know if you have followed my conversations with a RCC representative on BB but he views all Protestants as deportees from said Catholicism ( IE Universal Church teachings) like the Sacraments way to salvation, Prayers for the dead/ purgatory, the RCC as the one true church with the elected pope as the infallible leader and representative of Christ on earth blah blah blah. So in conclusion, church doctrine is arbitrary if not up for discussion and interpretation. We Baptists lean heavily on scriptural interpretation vs what the Pope and his prelates claim…we are seeing 1st hand how conflated that is … evidence the Same Sex Blessing statement by the RCC in December. Rest assured that there is more to come from Pope Frank and his goon squad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rohr does dismiss the doctrine of Original Sin and he does it with this cavalier attitude of it being an antique theory. He also is so in love with Pope Francis that he just dismisses past Popes as irrelevant. Imagine a Catholic priest commenting that way about two late heads of his own church! :Frown

Apparently the Current Pope is much more open to same sex relationships and so Rohr applauds that. If fact, Pope Frank takes a dim view of Capitalism which I could only assume he then supports Marxism. :eek:

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you move back to an Eastern Right Church Walter I believe you won’t have these Emergent Church nonsense to deal with and you could still practice universal Catholism… just a suggestion mind you.

16. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's one of those doctrinal theories I don't have a very strong opinion about either way. I don't think it's really a salvific issue. It's a clever and creative way to attempt to explain the nature of God which is something that we can't ever fully understand anyway.

I personally have gone back and forth on it over the years. I'm wishy-washy on this one. I subscribe to a panentheistic (not pantheistic) theology. And Within that, there's plenty of room for the Trinity if it's helpful.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Christina1

Christina1 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. And it's not surprising because he's Catholic and the Church believes in the Trinity. The idea of Jesus as the one who shows the way has always resonated with me. I like hearing Rohr's perspective on things. He has this way of thinking through things in a way that I can relate to.

18. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. We don’t understand it. We accept God’s revelation of Himself and that the finite cannot comprehend the infinite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 14:6, ". . . Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. . . ."

1 Timothy 2:5, ". . . For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; . . ."

Revelation 1:17-18, ". . . And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. . . ."

Isaiah 44:6, ". . . Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. . . ."

Isaiah 43:11, "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour."

#19 37818, Jan 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither pantheism not panentheism have any place in Christianity.

pantheism
    1. A doctrine identifying the Deity with the universe and its phenomena.
    2. Belief in and worship of all gods.
    3. The worship of all the gods.
    panentheism
    1. The principle or belief that all things are contained in God.
    2. A doctrine that the universe is part of God, but that God nevertheless transcends or has some existence separate from the universe.
    3. A belief in all gods.
    Also expressed as God is in all things. Scripture shows us God exists without His creation.