1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary??

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by John of Japan, Feb 24, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm checking out the link. Thanks again, Bible-boy.

2. NateT

NateT Member

Actually the prices at any lifeway store a bit rough. I'm at SBTS, and in 2 years, I've probably bought 4 books for class in the bookstore. They're so much cheaper online.

3. CompassionateConservative

As a current student at Southeastern, I can say that your son would be challenged both academically and spiritually here. At the very least, he should visit. If he does visit, have him look me up. Any idea which doctorate he will pursue?

[​IMG]

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, CC. Thanks for your input and interest. He is working on his M. Div. in PA right now, but he wants the Ph. D. someday, probably in Biblical languages. He's good in languages, having grown up on the mission field, and got the award for Biblical languages at his B. A. graduation. [​IMG]

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Brother, take my advice and never (well, almost never unless they're having a 50%+ sale) buy anything from a college or seminary bookstore. If you buy as many as I buy, one could never afford to eat if all books were bought at the high prices of institutional bookstores. :D

6. CompassionateConservative

If you are enrolled in a course for credit, the textbooks for that course are discounted heavily (like 30% off). I spent about $100 total on textbooks for both semesters, as opposed to the $100 per course that they say is about average. If you plan your courses just right, you can take semester I and II with the same prof and often get by with using the same textbook. Still, others have found eBay, half.com, etc. viable alternatives! [​IMG]

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Update on our son

I realize I started this thread almost two years ago, but being a proud papa I couldn't resist reviving it for an update.

Our son passed the entrance exams for the Ph. D. program at SEBTS, and has been accepted. He will finish his M. Div. in the spring and then in the fall start working on his Ph. D. in Greek Linguistics under noted scholar David Alan Black.

In this way our son, who grew up as a bilingual "Missionary Kid," continues to bring glory to God by following the path his experience as an MK set him on. He is following his dream of serving God as a Bible college or seminary professor. Way to go, son! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

8. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Congrats, Dad!

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is excellent news JoJ ! Congratulations on your son's accomplishments . Praise the Lord for everything .

BTW , perhaps Dr. Black can interest him in the ISV translation .

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt Paul will get to know Dr. Black well, and learn about the ISV and many other subjects. It'll be fun to watch! :thumbs:

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks! :wavey:

12. North Carolina Tentmaker

Praise the Lord for your son John. Sounds like he is bringing honor to his father's name.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "A wise son maketh a glad father!"

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Congrats, John!

Ph.D in Greek Linguistics under David Alan Black, now that's impressive.

Dr. Black is so good!

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our son will be insufferable! :laugh: He's already got good creds in Greek (Biblical Languages award in college, etc.), and corrects my Japanese translation for me with no mercy. "Dad, you really blew it here...!" :(

16. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    JoJ Proud Dad Response!

JoJ,

Blessings on your work there in Japan. I pray for you as I write this.

Just a question born out of an observation:

How is it that a "Fundamentalists" missionary's kid ended up at a "Liberal" Southern Baptist School like SEBTS? HA!:smilewinkgrin:

Please pray and have all your contacts there pray for Union U. It was nearly destroyed by tornadoes this past Tuesday night. Blessedly, no one was killed.:praying:

"Stay by the stuff!"

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rhet.

Thanks so much for the prayers. We always need them.
    WELL! Good question.

We taught our son to think for himself, and he evidently has! :smilewinkgrin: He thought he'd like to go for his Ph. D. at the Baptist school where the level of scholarship in Greek was the highest, and that appears to be SEBTS nowadays, with men like Dr. Black and Dr. Maurice Robinson. These are both evidently good and godly men, as well as first rate scholars, so our son will be getting top level instruction. Since we Fundamentalists need good scholars and professors, that's a plus. We trust he'll return to bless his roots in a Fundamentalist school some day, but we want for him God's will above all else.

We do know that the SBC has made a lot of strides in the past few years. It appears nowadays that the most conservative SBC seminary is SEBTS! So we're happy with that.
    We are praying. May God work in a wonderful way through this tragedy.

There is a strange congruence here. My wife went to Union back in the mid 1970's for a year and a half in their nursing program! She found out she didn't want to be a nurse when she couldn't stand the sight of blood!

18. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the young men from our church graduated from SEBTS 2 years ago. He's planted one church near Hershey, PA. They are moving towards calling a pastor and he wll move on to plant another church.

He speaks highly of their academics and soul winning passion which is very rare in grad schools.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is good to hear. Thank you Tom.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I started this thread four years ago, then did a PPP (Proud Papa Post) when he was accepted at Southeastern two years ago. It's time for another PPP!

Paul has now finished all his classwork and passed his "comps "with flying colors" according to his mentor, Dr. David Alan Black. You can see Paul with the men on the oral comps board (Dr. Black, Dr. Maurice Robinson and Dr. David Beck) at Dr. Black's blog on the Monday, June 13 post (his is the second picture): http://www.daveblackonline.com/blog.htm

Paul's final step is of course the dissertation. He is now working on his prospectus for that, with the idea of doing it in Petrine studies, since most concentrate on Pauline studies. (My son the maverick!) Tentatively he wants to research prognwsiV and proginwskw.