1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured A Penal Substitution Theory Interpretation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Jun 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is this a 'gotcha game'? You made a false statement and I pulled you up on it.
    I don't understand this statement. Will you please re-print it in English?
    Abraham was ungodly; Paul was certainly ungodly (1 Timothy 1:15) and so was I. I think you'd better hope that God justifies the ungodly.

But the main point I am making is that God does justify the ungodly. It also pleased Him to crush the sinless Christ and put Him to grief, despite Proverbs 17:15. This is whether one believes in Penal Substitution or not. So your argument that Proverbs 17:15 refutes P.S. falls to the ground with a crash.

#41 Martin Marprelate, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But apparently He didn't justify them. :Rolleyes But tell me: where do Christ and the cross come into your theory?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also Hebrews 6:13-20, ". . . For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself, Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee. And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise. For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife. Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. . . ."

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It may seem that be a strange question to you, but it is not a strange question at all. The passages you provide (John 3:16 and 2 Corinthians 5:21) do not address the issue of the question at all.

We agree that God is just and holy. That is not in question.

But you approach divine justice with the idea that God must punish sins (sinful actions) rather than God will punish the wicked. If the latter we would be in agreement.

So how do you come up with the idea that divine justice demands that sins (not the actual wicked, but sins committed by the wicked) must be punished EVEN IF THIS IS NOT PUNISHING THE TRANSGRESSOR?

Once you are able to legitimately provide a reason for that philosophy THEN we can move forward with a discussion about interpretation.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cross is center in my understanding of Atonement. Not only was it necessary for Christ to die, but it was necessary that He die on a Roman cross condemned by both the Jews and the Roman government.

I never said that God does not justify sinners. I am saying that God WILL punish the wicked at Judgment. Why you do not believe that is beyond me...you just think God will separate the Redeemed from the wicked and let the wicked go unpunished. (See two can play at that game - the difference is I am doing it for illustration as I know that is not what you believe so I am not being dishonest towards you).

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of you have answered the question. You say because God is just, because God is holy, and then spout off a bunch of verses we all believe.

But you never actually answer the question. Why do you believe justice is served by punishing sins even if it is not punishing the transgressor????

If you punch me in the nose why do you believe I have to punch somebody else in the nose to forgive you?

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a false statement because I have already explained that the context I am speaking of is Judgment, i.e., "the wrath to come".

You are ignoring what I have already said and pretending like that was a new comment, and you know better.

You may believe God will justify the wicked at Judgment but I believe the only ones that will be justified are those in Christ.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you believe Abraham and Paul will stand before God at Judgment as wicked men.

I disagree. We must die to the flesh and be reborn (recreated) in the image of Christ. As Christians we are being conformed into His image.

If you stand before God at Judgment as a wicked man then you will face condemnation.

The Scripture you are denying is Ezekiel 36.

God gives us a new heart and a new spirit. He puts His Spirit in us. To consider Paul at Judgment as wicked is to consider Christ wicked.

Obviously you do not understand the rebirth.

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, you did. First you tried to avoid answering the question; then you flatly denied that God justifies the ungodly.
    You have told me that it was necessary for Christ to die, but you have still not explained why it was necessary or what it achieved.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham believed on Him who justifies the ungodly. He believed in God and it was accounted to him for righteousness. He saw the day of the Lord Jesus and rejoiced to see it.
    Paul, in 1 Timothy 1:15, declares himself to be the first (chief) of sinners Protos eimi ego. Present tense. All Paul's hope was in the Lord Jesus Christ; none in himself, even as a redeemed man (Romans 7:21-25).
    Well, according to you I'm in big trouble then. 'For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practise.' If I am dependent on anything in me for my salvation, I am doomed because it is will be incomplete (1 John 1:8-10). My only hope is that I have an advocate with the Father (1 John 2:1). And when I stand before the Father in judgment and He turns to the Lord Jesus and says, "What about that Martin Marprelate then?" All Jesus has to do is show His nail-scarred hands and the Father will say, "Quite right! Of you go, Martin. Harps on the left; halos on the right!"
    Now this is a wretched anthropomorphism, but I hope you get the idea; I'm trying to help you with an illustration.

'My hope is built on nothing less
    That Jesus' blood and righteousness.
    I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
    But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
    On Christ the solid rock I stand;
    All other ground is sinking sand.'

I do not at all deny the New Birth. Without it, one cannot see or enter the kingdom of God. But if Christ has not paid for your sins in full, nothing is more certain that you will have to pay for them yourself.
    Paul considered himself wicked (see above). I am concerned that you do not understand Christianity.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am concerned that you do not understand Christianity.

Do you not know, @Martin Marprelate , that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Those of us who are Christians (not who are wicked but who have been "reborn") are not the people we once we're.

The problem is that you have a form of godliness but you deny the power of God to change a person.

The wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Many may look godly, but if they have just changed their behavior without being reborn they will hear the words "I never knew you".

I understand why you believed being reborn (or "born of the Spirit") is just a metaphor. That is one reason I am so concerned about your views. You deny an actual rebirth (a "re-creation") because it goes beyond merely learning the "right" things.

I encourage you to study Scripture, but also to find a pastor who can come along side and mentor you.

In the end, however, the thing you despise about me - my belief that God actually gives us a new spirit, that He puts His Spirit in us, that men must actually be reborn spiritually - is essential for the Christian faith.

Your view that Christians are wicked tramples the blood of Christ shed for us. Rather than God recreating man, conforming man into the image of Christ, your argument that God will at Judgment simply acquit the wicked is not a Christian belief.

You have strayed very far from the faith by allowing yourself to be carried away by vain philosophy.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do deny that God, at the Judgment, will justify the wicked. Scripture tells us that the ungodly WILL NOT inherit the kingdom of God.

God will separate the people. The formerly wicked people who have been washed, cleansed, reborn...they will live. The wicked, however, will be "cast into the Lake of Fire".

Your believe that God will offer justification for the wicked at Judgment is wrong. That will be too late.

I believe Scripture is true. Man MUST be born again.

I have told you that it was necessary for Christ to die. The reason is to free man from the bondage of sin and death. We had to have a different "Adam". What was achieved is man was recorded nailed to God.

Why do you believe God must punish sinful actions even if this does not mean punishing the transgressors?

13. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You plainly are not because you have denied that God justifies the ungodly, and then had to perform a theological handbrake turn..
    It is you who are clinging to this mythical 'theory.' You mention it all the time; no one else does.
    We are not responsible for your theory. If you want to engage with the Scriptures, that would be much better.
    Penal Substitution is highly Biblical. I have shown you a range of Scriptures which you have rejected for no reason. Specifically, your specious claim that huper cannot have the meaning of 'instead of' is refuted by John 12:50.
    Sins are things sinners do, and sinners are people who commit sins, so your point is moot.
    However, if you will look at Proverbs 6:16-19, you will find that the LORD hates 'a proud look' (action). 'a lying tongue' (action), 'hands that shed innocent blood' (action), 'a heart that devises wickedness' (action), 'feet that are swift in running to mischief' (action). Only 'a false witness speaking lies' and 'he that sows discord among brethren' directly refer to sinners, although these too involve action.
    Sins can be transferred. You have provided no Scripture to prove otherwise whilst I have shown you Leviticus 16:21-22 (type), Isaiah 53:6 (prophecy) and 1 Peter 2:24 (history) to prove that our sins were transferred to Christ.
    On the contrary, it makes forgiveness possible.
    It is utterly different to the pagan view of sacrifice. Pagan sacrifice is men making offerings to their god in the hope of propitiating them. Penal Substitution is God Himself setting forth Christ as a propitiation.
    On the contrary, it elevates the holiness, righteousness, mercy and love of God (Psalms 85:10), while revealing His detestation of sin.
    On the contrary, the philosophy upon which Penal Substitution stands is found in 2 Samuel 14:14b; John 3:16 and many other places.
    So that He may be just and the justifier of the one who believes in Jesus.[/QUOTE]

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry to point this out to you, but you are now intentionally bearing false witness against me. It is sad that you have forfeited your character, your integrity, in order to try to "win" an argument.

As I have told you repeatedly, I believe that God justifies the ungodly, that He is the justifier of sinners.

My argument is that on the day of Judgement the wicked will not be justified. We, those of us who are saved...who have been cleansed, who have been justified....will not be among the wicked.

You simply do not understand the Christian faith.

Let me help.

God saves sinners. God takes out their old heart and spirit and gives them a new one. God puts Him s Spirit in them and causes them to obey His statutes.

Man must be born again.

If, on the day of Judgment, you are wicked then you will not inherit the kingdom of God....for the wicked shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

So you should examine yourself and see if your current sin is a mark of your life or a momentary lapse. You must be killing sin or sin will be killing you. And that is something between you and God. You put your sin out here - on open display - which is a good thing. It is an opportunity for you to repent and continue to be confirmed to the image of Christ.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish you had taken more time to study Scripture before adopting a tradition, but I understand you have chosen a tradition to follow and will not be moved. My questions are of you, but for the benefit of a younger generation less steeped in the traditions of men.

Sins are actions. When God forgives sins what He is doing is forgiving people OF THEIR sins. When God punished sins He is punishing people FOR THEIR sins.

You hold a defunct philosophy and have applied it to Scripture. You hold, thank God, a minority view. But many hold your view because they are more concerned about their traditions than they are about God.

I ask again, why does God have to punish sinful actions separated from the transgressor in order to forgive sins?

The answer, of course, is that He doesn't. God will punish the wicked at Judgment (in the Bible this is called "the wrath to come") for "the wicked shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But didn't you also tell me:
    And in the light of Isaiah 53:10, God is clearly one who condemns the righteous.
    I'm wondering how you account for that.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! No difference between us here. :)
    Because if God punishes sinful people for their actions, no one could be saved. God has placed the sins of His people upon Jesus who has paid the penalty for them in full. Therefore when God looks upon His people, He sees (as Judge) no sin, only the spotless righteousness of Christ

When Satan tempts me to despair,
    And tells me of the guilt within,
    Upwards I look and see Him there
    Who made an end of all my sin.
    Because the sinless Saviour died,
    My sinful soul is counted free;
    For God the just is satisfied
    To look on Him and pardon me.'

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is simple how I account for that.

I believe man must be born again (something you dismiss as merely symbolic).

You insist that the wicked will inherit the kingdom of God.

But 1 Cor 6:9 says "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?"

I guess you just didn't know.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But your solution is God becomes unjust so that people can be saved.

You are simply wrong.

God punishes the wicked. What you reject is that men must be reborn. Rather than changing God, God changes man.

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

God can ONLY forgive and justify any sinner on the basis of the Cross of Christ, what he did for them, as our sins were imputed on Him so that His very righteousness imputed on us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.