1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Assumption

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Joseph_Botwinick, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Yes, it is easy to be self-righteous when one believes that the Bible does not matter and anything one says comes directly from God.

It was good to burn and torcher people because hey it was the Catholic Church doing it. Therefore it had to be God's will.

2. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Yes, it is easy to be self-righteous when one believes that the Bible does not matter and anything one says comes directly from God.

It was good to burn and torcher people because hey it was the Catholic Church doing it. Therefore it had to be God's will.
    </font>[/QUOTE]See how these Christians love one another!

Are you guys, like, afraid to turn the lights off at night for fear of prowling Jesuits? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Eladar

Eladar New Member

I have no fear of being burned alive or tortured for disagreeing with the Catholic church.

4. MikeS

MikeS New Member

I have no fear of being burned alive or tortured for disagreeing with the Catholic church. </font>[/QUOTE]Good, for a while I was worried you thought you were living in the 16th century instead of the 21st. I feel better now! [​IMG]

5. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Do you believe that the Catholic church was inerrant during the 16th century?

6. CatholicConvert

CatholicConvert New Member

Tuor --

Why don't you ask some of those German Lutherans who are burning in hell right now?

Luther's doctrines turned Germany into a moral cesspool. This is a fact.

So answer me this: which is worse, burning a few heretic leaders or letting their pernacious and soul damning doctrines send THOUSANDS to hell?

Well?

7. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Do you believe that the Catholic church was inerrant during the 16th century? </font>[/QUOTE]I believe the Church taught and interpreted the deposit of faith inerrantly during the 16th century, even while being made up of sinners, both great and small.

8. Eladar

Eladar New Member

You didn't answer my question. [​IMG]

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that those who burned the heretic leaders are burning in hell right now with those German Lutherans?

10. MikeS

MikeS New Member

You didn't answer my question. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Because your question doesn't make sense. I don't know what it means for the Church to be inerrant. I do know what it means for the Church teachings and interpretations to be inerrant.

I didn't answer your question, I answered the question that matters. [​IMG]

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true. We no longer live in the Dark Ages when the Roman Catholic Church had almost total political and religious control.

If it still had that kind of power, well...

12. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Ken H,

I vote in the affirmative on this issue. Is not murder or killing another person, created in the image of God, a mortal sin? According to Exodus 20:13 ='s Thou shalt not kill, plus, I John 3:15 indicates that ' . . . no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.'

13. MikeS

MikeS New Member

This is true. We no longer live in the Dark Ages when the Roman Catholic Church had almost total political and religious control.

If it still had that kind of power, well...
    </font>[/QUOTE]C'mon, KenH, finish your thought. If it still had that kind of power, what? We anxiously await your answer -- it should be most revealing!

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but I cannot as I am neither a prophet nor the son of a prophet. It is simply a thought question for people to ponder. [​IMG]

15. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Mike,

You were the one who brought up the inerrancy issue. It seems to me that you want to have your cake and eat it too.

The Catholic church is inerrant, but only inerrant in the areas that you want it to be inerrant in.

As I said earlier, perhaps the Catholic Church is of God, but it is also possible that it is of Satan. In the end, God will let us know.

16. MikeS

MikeS New Member

It's not a matter of what areas I want the Church to be inerrant in, but of what areas the Church teaches that it is inerrant in. The exact area in this case was inerrancy in the decision that a person is a saint. The question of inerrant behavior (by which I can only guess is meant the absence of sin) was never brought up by me, and is not taught in the Bible or by the Church. So, of course, I don't believe it!

And about the cake, yes I'd love some! I confess it's a weakness of mine! :D

17. Eladar

Eladar New Member

Oops sorry. It is the Cathoic Church that wants to proclaim its own hit and miss inerrancy. You just believe it.

18. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Oops sorry. It is the Cathoic Church that wants to proclaim its own hit and miss inerrancy. You just believe it. </font>[/QUOTE]No problem. You're quite right that the Church proclaims hits where Scripture says "hit" and proclaims misses where Scripture says "miss." All that stuff about binding and loosing, pillar and foundation of the truth, being guided into all truth, you know...

Do I believe it? Darn tootin!!! [​IMG]

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for the answer to whether Roman Catholics believe that those Roman Catholics who burned the heretic leaders are burning in hell right now with those German Lutherans?

20. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Can't speak for all 1-billion-plus of us, but I personally know better than to pronounce on anybody's final judgement. Was a grave offense committed? Was the offense committed freely? Was the offender fully aware of the grave nature of the offense? Did the offender refuse to repent and seek forgiveness before death? Whenever the answer to all these questions is YES, then I'd say it looks very, very bad for that person.

Note that the Church has never pronounced definitively that a single person is known to have gone to hell. Not Hitler, or Stalin, or Mao. Not even Judas. I don't claim to have better knowledge than the Church.