1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church as a Rock Concert

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Jul 3, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I absolutely agree.

This is why I have repeatedly warned Christians not to condemn other Christians in their worship. They are, in effect, accusing Christ.

They judge others by a standard under which they will be condemned (they use hymns that are now traditional but at one time were considered unholy).

There simply is no fear of God in those people.

2. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Contemporary worship that makes church services like a rock concert are unacceptable to God because they fail to edify all the church, as God commands that they must. The ridiculously high volume levels of the music that is used in such services damage human hearing and are therefore an abuse of the people. They also unacceptably hinder the understanding of what is being sung, which is entirely contradictory to what God teaches must take place in corporate worship.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ll call your bluff.
    I’m a church member that regularly brings ear plugs to services.

Where does God say acceptable music must edify all the church?

Rob

4. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bluff? I never bluff.

Your comment is a strange one and surprising to me. Before I answer your question, I want to be sure that I understand your position first.

Do you hold that not everything in church is supposed to edify people, that is, it's ok if some of it is unedifying? Do you hold that something is ok as long as it edifies only some of the people but not all the people

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll go one further - where does it say the primary purpose of worship music is edification.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Biblically it is "strengthen", not "edify".

Edification is, of course, important. But so is corporate and individual worship.

The Hebrews sang songs and hymns. This was to worship God, not to edify (they were already fully aware of the lyrical meaning).

If I sing "Holy, Holy, Holy" I am worshiping God, not seeking edification. I am expressing worship by singing what I already know.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's a matter of edification. Rather it's wrong, in my view, to have any music in a service which is in any sense a performance. I've even heard of church services where the "performers" are applauded. Music in services should surely be for the worship of God.

8. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “For from the rising of the sun even unto its setting my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure oblation: for my name shall be great among the Gentiles, saith The Lord of hosts.”

Worship is sacrificial offering, pure sacrificial offerings.

Unless it is the pure sacrifice of Christ, it isn’t Worship.

[​IMG]

9. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    “When you offer blind animals for sacrifice, is that not wrong? When you sacrifice lame or diseased animals, is that not wrong? Try offering them to your governor! Would he be pleased with you? Would he accept you?” says the Lord Almighty.

9 “Now plead with God to be gracious to us. With such offerings from your hands, will he accept you?”—says the Lord Almighty.

10 “Oh, that one of you would shut the temple doors, so that you would not light useless fires on my altar! I am not pleased with you,” says the Lord Almighty, and I will accept no offering from your hands.”

God wants to be worshipped His way, not the frivolous way people feel like.

These are the lame and diseased animals, when people aren’t serious and do not fully understand He is The Almighty Lord God of Hosts.

[​IMG]

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree....but sometimes people decide what is frivolous for others when in fact it is worshipping in spirit and truth.

Take the Roman Catholic style of worship, which was foreign to the Early Church worship (granted....at minimum by necessity). Do Catholics offer frivolous worship for adopting the "Roman" style?

What about Christian hymns which are foreign to Early Church worship but often a part of Baptist worship?

And if Baptists and Catholics truly worship God then what of the Early Church?

Each culture has expressed worship differently, even within the same era. The only commandment God has given us in terms of judging the worship of other Christians is not to do it.

One of my favorite writers that touches on this was Catholic - Flannery O'Connor.

11. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Where exactly does the Bible say that "it is 'strengthen,' not 'edify'"?

Where does the Bible say that singing "Holy, Holy, Holy," in a church service is worship but not edification? Where does the Bible teach that worship and edification are mutually exclusive?

12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have any actual Bible to back up your view that music is only for the worship of God and not edification? Where does the Bible teach that worship and edification are mutually exclusive?

#72 Scripture More Accurately, Jul 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
  13. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only the sacrificial offerings are Worship.

What is “ Roman “ in style with Catholic Worship? Apart from language.

Hymns aren’t worship unless part of the Eucharistic Liturgy. Neither is the sermon or preaching worship.

Only under an Apostolic Bishop is a Eucharist valid. The Eucharistic Liturgy is Worship, because it is sacrificial.

Do tell.

14. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

The sign of the cross showed by the picture above is a gesture for false Christians guided by the Roman Catholic Church that rides upon the Beast of Rome, that consists of tracing a cross with the RIGHT HAND, touching the forehead,
    chest, left shoulder and right shoulder, in LITERAL fulfillment of Revelation 13:16-18: that was written in the first century.

16 And the Beast causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their RIGHT hand, or in their foreheads:

17 And (very soon, after the election of the next and last Pope) no man may buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the NAME of the Beast, or the NUMBER of his NAME.

18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding COUNT the NUMBER of the Beast: for IT IS the number OF A MAN; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. ->666<-

Get ready

Revelation 21:8
    8 But the idolaters, and abominable, and fearful(cowards), and unbelieving, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and ALL LIARS, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone(the hell's fire): which is the second death.

The election of the last Pope - Will be his religious nickname Paulus VII? | Pure Bible Forum (and see www.sinaiticus.net )

15. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revelation 13:4-6
    4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the Beast(unto the Beast of sea who was established by him in the apostate Church of Rome),and they worshipped the Beast (of sea), saying, Who is like unto the Beast? who is able to make war with him? ----> Michael is.
    5 And there was given unto him(unto the Beast of sea) a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. (the court will be given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months-Revelation 11:2. JESUS warned: Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled-Luke 21:24)- Get ready
    6 And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven.

Revelation 12:9-12
    9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
    10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
    11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
    12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth(Israel-the clay, the dry land) and of the sea!(the Gentile nations) for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
    Get ready

16. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Image or figure of the croos's signal - it would be made by right hand - it was revealed by GOD before the existence of the apostate Church of Rome - Revelation 1:1 and Revelation 13:16.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The actual word in the Bible is "uplift".

"Edifiy" means "to instruct".

I'll provide the lyrics. You tell me how it instructs you, how it teaches instructions to you. But for me, I fully accept the lyrics and do not need to learn the material.

Holy, holy, holy!
    Lord God Almighty
    Early in the morning
    Our song shall rise to Thee
    Holy, holy, holy!
    Merciful and mighty
    God in three persons
    Blessed Trinity!
    Holy, holy, holy!
    Though the darkness hide Thee
    Though the eye of sinful man
    Thy glory may not see
    Only Thou art holy
    There is none beside Thee
    Perfect in power, in love and purity
    Holy, holy, holy!
    Lord God Almighty
    All Thy works shall praise Thy name
    In earth and sky and sea
    Holy, holy, holy!
    Merciful and mighty
    God in three persons
    Blessed Trinity
    Oh God in three persons
    Blessed Trinity!

The song is worship. It is akin to the Psalms.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not according to Scripture "come to worship Him with thankful hearts and songs of praise" comes to mind).

Have you read Flannery O'Connor? If not I recommend the writer. She was from Georgia and addresses a lot of social issues of her day. But she also addresses piety in several forms.

A Good Man is Hard to Find is probably her most popular.

But my favorite is a collection of short stories, Everything That Rises Must Converge.

I think you'd like her writings. She was distinctly Catholic ;)

19. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your understanding of the biblical usage of "edify" is not accurate. The Greek verb used for "edify" in the NT does not mean "to instruct." The Greek NT has verbs that do mean "to instruct," but oikodomew is not one of them.

From BibleWorks10:

Friberg, Analytical Greek Lexicon

[Fri] οἰκοδομέω impf. ᾠκοδόμουν; fut. οἰκοδομήσω; 1aor. ᾠκοδόμησα; 1aor. pass. ᾠκοδομήθην or οἰκοδομήθην (JN 2.20); 1fut. pass. οἰκοδομηθήσομαι; (1) literally; (a) as constructing houses, temples, tombs, etc. build, erect (LU 6.48); (b) absolutely erect buildings (LU 17.28); substantivally οἱ οἰκοδομοῦντες the builders (MT 21.42); (c) build again, restore (MT 26.61), opposite καταλύω (destroy, tear down); (2) figuratively; (a) of the establishment and increase of a Christian community known as the house of God build, establish (1P 2.5); (b) of the process of spiritual growth and development of the spiritual community and each member within it edify, make more able, strengthen (1C 14.4); (c) in a negative sense, as setting up (again) a wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles build (again), restore (GA 2.18); (d) as imparting strength and courage to someone to do what is right (1TH 5.11) or wrong (1C 8.10) strengthen, embolden

[GING] οἰκοδομέω
    οἰκοδομέω build—1. lit. build, erect Mt 7:24, 26; 23:29; Mk 12:1; Lk 6:48; 12:18; 1 Pt 2:7. Build up again, restore Mt 27:40; Mk 15:29.—2. fig. Mt 16:18; Ro 15; 20; Gal 2:18; 1 Pt 2:5.—3. also in a nonliteral sense, with little consciousness of the central meaning build up, edify, benefit, strengthen Ac 9:31; 20:32; 1 Cor 8:1, 10; 10:23; 14:4, 17; 1 Th 5:11. [pg 137]

[DANK] οἰκοδομέω
    οἰκοδομέω [οἰκοδόμος; ‘build’] – 1. ‘erect a structure’ – a. build, of var. types of structures Mt 7:24, 26; 23:29; Mk 12:1; Lk 6:48; 12:18; 1 Pt 2:7. – By ext., of transcendent entities, such as Christ’s ἐκκλησία Mt 16:18; sim. 1 Pt 2:5. – b. with focus on restoration of structures build up Mt 27:40; Mk 15:29. – 2. in imagery of building viewed as process or result, w. focus on growth and development build up Ac 9:31; 20:32; 1 Cor 8:1, 10 (in irony); 10:23; 14:4, 17; 1 Th 5:11.

[Louw-Nida] Lexicon
    74.15 οἰκοδομέω ; ἐποικοδομέω ; οἰκοδομή, ῆς f: to increase the potential of someone or something, with focus upon the process involved - 'to strengthen, to make more able, to build up.' οἰκοδομέω: οἰκοδομουμένη καὶ πορευομένη τῷ φόβῳ τοῦ κυρίου 'built up and living in reverence for the Lord' Ac 9.31 . ἐποικοδομέω: ἐποικοδομοῦντες ἑαυτοὺς τῇ ἁγιωτάτῃ ὑμῶν πίστει 'build yourselves up on your most holy faith' or '... by means of your most holy faith' Jd 20. οἰκοδομή: κατὰ τὴν ἐξουσίαν ἣν ὁ κύριος ἔδωκέν μοι, εἰς οἰκοδομὴν καὶ οὐκ εἰς καθαίρεσιν 'according to the authority which the Lord has given me to build you up, not to tear you down' or '... to strengthen and not to weaken' 2 Cor 13.10. 74.15 οἰκοδομέω ; ἐποικοδομέω ; οἰκοδομή, ῆς f: to increase the potential of someone or something, with focus upon the process involved - 'to strengthen, to make more able, to build up.' οἰκοδομέω: οἰκοδομουμένη καὶ πορευομένη τῷ φόβῳ τοῦ κυρίου 'built up and living in reverence for the Lord' Ac 9.31 . ἐποικοδομέω: ἐποικοδομοῦντες ἑαυτοὺς τῇ ἁγιωτάτῃ ὑμῶν πίστει 'build yourselves up on your most holy faith' or '... by means of your most holy faith' Jd 20. οἰκοδομή: κατὰ τὴν ἐξουσίαν ἣν ὁ κύριος ἔδωκέν μοι, εἰς οἰκοδομὴν καὶ οὐκ εἰς καθαίρεσιν 'according to the authority which the Lord has given me to build you up, not to tear you down' or '... to strengthen and not to weaken' 2 Cor 13.10.

None of these major Greek lexicons speak of oikodomew as meaning "to instruct."

#79 Scripture More Accurately, Jul 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
  20. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very important. Scripture says: Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of GOD: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 1John 4:1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.