1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Faulty Logic, Faulty Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Mar 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what you are talking about when you say 2 Corinthians 15. Please clarify that. Adam was not a natural man. A natural man is the descendant of Adam, who is born a sinner. Adam was created perfect and only sinned when he followed Eve into sin. Once Adam sinned, then he had to have animals killed and sacrificed for his clothing. So death happened right away and blood was shed right away.

However, Adam was created to live eternally and so Adam had a soul. Genesis 2:7 (KJV) And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

2. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where doe scripture say we are born sinners?
    MB

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not limbo. Scripture tells us EXACTLY what Adam was.

Adam was "natural man", and "not spiritual". Adam was "flesh". Adam was "upright". Adam was "a living soul".

Scripture makes sence to me without the added doctrine you use to come to terms with "the Fall". In fact, as Scripture stands it carries through with being alive in the Spirit throughout (my view of bring alive in the Spirit is constant - it is eternal and not subject to sin and death).

4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you are dodging the issue. If he was not dead in sin, what was he before? None of those things changed after sin but something about Adam did change that was now dead in his sin. So what was he before sin?

• Like Like x 1
  5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's answered this about a half dozen times already.

JonC says before the Fall Adam was "not spiritual". Therefore, according to JonC, he was not "spiritually alive". (Jon, correct me if I'm overstepping and not presenting your position correctly.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is precisely the non-answer. It does not deal with the issue that Adam was dead in sin after the sin. What was he before? If something is now dead but was not before, there had to be a prior state that was impacted by the sin. What was it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not dodging the question, David.

Scripture tells us that before Adam was dead in his sins he was "flesh", "natural man", " not Spiritual man", and "upright".

So what changed (per Scripture)? Perhaps he was no longer "upright". His eyes were opened. And he was in a state of "spiritual death".

You do not have to invent a mythology to serve as a narrative. When Scripture itself is no longer adequate to answer your questions then perhaps you may want to reexamine your questions.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. Scripture speaks of Adam in context of the "flesh" and "natural man", specifically stating Adam was created natural and not spiritual.

There was no context prior to the fall for Adam to be considered alive in the spirit or dead spiritually. Adam was created natural.

Also, Scripture presents the spiritual as not subject to death so I do not see how this conversation continues.

9. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture is adequate. But my point is that Scripture clearly teaches Adam died a spiritual death after the fall. You have not dealt with what Adam was prior to the fall with regard to being dead in sin. I understand that you think you have but you have not. Adam was still flesh and a natural man after the fall so that doesn't tell us anything about the now dead in sin. My argument is that spiritually alive is a return to that upright state, a state of righteousness if you will. Adam had no need for a savior prior to the fall because there was nothing to be saved from. You want so badly for it to be explicitly spelled out in Scripture by one verse or passage but that isn't how we study Scripture. Otherwise you cannot hold to the Trinity. You seem to have two sets of rules.

10. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    It continues because this is yet another non-answer to the question.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam had no need to have a mediator between Him and God though, no Messiah, so had spiritual life in him!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are speculating/affirming just as much as any of us that would hold to Adam had spiritual life and was immortal before he fell!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dead in sin, spiritual death, brought to pass his physical death!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam did not need a messiah before he fell, no need for a mediator between him and God, so what changed in him demanding him now needing a messiah?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You say Scripture is adequate, but when I say that prior to the fall Adam was "upright", "not spiritual", "natural", "flesh", and "a living soul" and that spiritual life is not subject "to the law of sin and death", is "everlasting", is of the "imperishable seed", and that after Adam sinned he was "dead in his sins" you say that is a non-answer.

You cannot have it both ways. Either Scripture is adequate or Adam must have been "spiritually alive" and experienced "spiritually dying".

We all have to choose our standards and those we will follow. I have chosen mine and cannot agree with your narrative because not only is it foreign to Scripture but there are places where it is an outright denial of Scripture (like this spiritual life being eternal, of the imperishable seed, in opposition to the natural, and not subject to death).

As long as you can convey the gospel through your story I will encourage you to reach the lost because myth or Scripture the gospel is communicated and God is glorified, even if to a lesser extent.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul must have been adding to scripture to then, for he saw Adam Fall being the very source of us now being spiritual dead in our sins and transgressions!

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The spiritual life that you refer to would be us in our glorified state, but we right now have eternal life still in this weak and corrupted flesh, same way Adam had it, save that he had not corrupted flesh when created!

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was actually offering Scripture. That is the difference. Scripture says Adam was created "upright", "flesh", "natural man", "not spiritual man", and "a living soul". That is not speculation. What Scripture does not say is that Adam was created "spiritual" (it in fact states the opposite) and died spiritually (it states that life in the spirit is eternal, not subject to death or corruption, not temporary, and not natural).

So no. There is a huge difference. You view Scripture as speculation and speculation as if it were Scripture.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all flesh here, physical alive, but also spiritually alive, correct?

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to that.
    MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.