1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the Doctrine of the Trinity wrong? (Eternal Generation/ eternally begotten)

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, May 29, 2024.

?
  1. Yes. Parts are correct but the traditional understanding is unbiblical)

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No. The Doctrine of the Trinity has defined our faith for over a mellinia and remains true today.

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It does.

God spoke.
    Through the Word all things were made.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It actually does. The problem is you (and Martin) confuse the word "son" with the Incarnation (a different topic).

Eternal Generation is not dealing with Jesus as man (the Incarnation) but Jesus as God (His divinity and relationship in the Trinity).

You insist that Jesus' relationship within the Trinity changed at the Incarnation, but you have failed to prove that by Scripture.

Eternal Generation is the truth that Jesus us Eternally the Word - by being born as God's Son His relationship as YHWH within the Trinity did not change.

Eternal Generation is the ONLY view that presents YHWH as Eternal in the sense YHWH does not change (the Trinity remains constant).

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your understand here is wrong being convoluted.
    The written words of God are not a person.

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not according to the written word of God. Absolutely not holy. Illogical nonsense.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ??

God did not write Creation into existence.

What on earth are you talking about????

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Eternal Generation is Biblical.

The problem is you developed your understanding over 30 years ago. God Himself can (and has) told you that it is wrong but we both know you will not be persuaded.

You insist that YHWH is not Eternal but changes in nature (the opposite of Eternal Generation).

Prove that the nature of God (of the Trinity) has changed.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @37818

This is getting old. Let's settle it once and for all.

Eternal Generation is that YHWH is eternal in divine nature.

Jesus remained Yahweh, without change in this respect.

Jesus being born in the flesh as the Son of God DID NOT change His Divine nature and identity in the Godhead.

Either the nature of the Trinity changed or it did not.

Eternal Generation is the doctrine that the nature of the Trinity did not change with the Incarnation.

You reject that doctrine.

Show us in Scripture that the Incarnation is a change in the nature of the Trinity.

Show us in Scripture that the Incarnation means Jesus' divine nature as Yahweh, in the Godhead, was changed.

You will not change my mind because too many passages are against you. God does not change. But I am interested in understanding the view you came up with all those years ago.

8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In no way.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The concept of eternal generation is illogical.
    A process of generation is a finite activity. Eternal to mean it has no beginning. Which logically means the same thing as never occurring.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This proves you fo mot understand the doctrine.

You need to study doctrines from those who affirm them instead of from those who reject them in order to prevent this mistake.

It was an easily avoidable error.

Eternal Generation is the doctrine that the Son IS eternally Yahweh.

The Word became flesh, but this did not equate to a change in the Trinity.

Jesus' divine nature and place within the Godhead DID NOT change.

That is the Biblical truth you are trying to argue gainst.

So argue against it legitimately.

Show us how Yahweh is not eternally immutable in nature.

Tell us how the nature of the Trinity was altered by the Incarnation.

If you cannot then you have no ground to stand on. You just reject the orthodox Christian faith to rebel against Scripture.

By your replies you seem to actually believe Eternal Generation. You just do not seem to understand the doctrine.

The reason I say this is you respond by affirming Eternal Generation while stating you font believe it.

And when faced with the doctrine you can only reply with "no way".

The point of Eternal Generation IS that Yahweh is eternal and did not change when the Word became flesh.

11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One has to falsely accuse, a Biblical Trinitarian who believes in the eternal Son of God, who honestly must deny the concept of eternal generation, to disallow this view.

The concept of eternal generation has no Biblical basis.

12. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t think he is saying that the Second person within the Godhead “ceased” being the Word when He was born of flesh.

The problem, I think, is viewing God as not being three distinct persons until the Father “eternally” generated the Second and Third persons from His essence.

Has God always existed as three distinct persons within the Godhead, or did the Father, at some point when only He existed (even before time existed) “generate” the Second and Third persons from His essence?

Deep in the weeds beyond our understanding and probably not wise to speculate as speculation can certainly lead to heresy.

peace to you

• Like Like x 2
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word changed form not being part of His creation to becoming part of His creation. Per John 1:2-3 and John 1:14.

The Word who is God the uncaused Creator did not cease being God the uncaused Creator.

#73 37818, May 31, 2024
    Last edited: May 31, 2024
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhhhh.....Thanks. Now I can see it. I assumed @37818 held the Doctrine of the Trinity with the exception of Eternal Generation. And since he kept repeating Eternal Generation points as his view I did not make that connection.

I believe Genesis disproves his theory. The reason is we see the Trinity at work (God speaking, it bring done through that Word, and the movement of the Spirit).

I hold the understanding that the Trinity is eternal (Eternal Generation and Eternal Procession). I do so because I see this all over Scripture (Creation, the giving of the Law, etc.). I believe that we do have Christophanies. I also believe that the Word was with God and was God, and that God sent His Son into the World. Also, I believe that the Doctrine of the Trinity prevents heresies regarding the Godhead.

Is there a name for the doctrine that the One God became three Persons?

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not a change in the nature of God (between the Persons of the Trinity).

@canadyjd helped me out. I think k I understand your position.

The problem I have with it are passages like John 1. The Word was God and the Word was with God. I believe this affirms distinct Persons in One God. In Genesis we also have the Spirit moving.

So while I reject the idea that God became a trinity, and I view that as a denial (obviously) of the Doctrine of the Trinity, I grant you are not rejecting that Jesus is God.

The difference between our beliefs is simply that I believe in an eternally triune God.

16. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Creeds aside, Scripture proves the Trinity, in the story of Jesus' baptism, and salls each Member God in various places. That's ALL I hafta say about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God did not become what He always was.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

I think the argument has become whether God is the Eternal triune God or if He became a triune God.

My belief is that the Trinity is Eternal and therefore the position or roles of the Father, Son, and Spirit are eternal.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You say that the Second Person of the Trinity changed within the Trinity. That is becoming something different.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eternal Generation is false doctrine.

The vague and ambiguous phrase "came forth from God or the Father" appears in 5 verses in the gospel written by John, verse 8:42, 16:27, 16:28, 16:30 and 17:8.

All of these refer to God the Father sending the eternally existing (with no beginning) God the Son (Logos) to be God incarnate.

The absurd effort to read an origination into this phrase is contradicted time and again in scripture, such as John 1:1.

God the Father's spiritual eternal essence did not subdivide into one, two or three "Persons" such as to establish "Eternal Generation." Full Stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.