1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Postincarnate Christ

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    can you please give one Scripture that shows Jesus did not have a "flesh" body after He ascended?

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we are setting aside logic in our presentation of Scripture how can we precede? The Spirit teaches us individually, yes, but when we discus our beliefs with each other we inevitably also must use logic. But you want to set it aside. What would you put in its place?

Instead of logic - the tools of reasoned discourse - you wave your wand over my verses and breezily nullify them.

Yes, I agree, we have no verse that explicitly tells us that His body was transformed post ascension. But the proof is in passages, a sample of which I quoted. Neither are we explicitly told the truth about the Trinity. Yet I assume you believe it. How? Putting verses together. And for that we use your set aside logic.

I know a dead-end discussion when I see one.

3. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you give me one Scripture that says that He has a flesh body after He ascended?

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I’ll ask you directly and see if you will answer directly.

Do you believe God the Son, the Second Person of the Trinity, added humanity to His deity for the rest of eternity?

A simple yes or no will do.

peace to you

5. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see nothing here about the post-ascension body of Jesus Christ!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was raised up in the same Body died with, and that SAME Jesus will appear still!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be the very same Body He had walking around with after resurrection!

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want a simple answer to a complicated question. OK, yes. I said as much when I said He was the Son of Man. Does that satisfy your shibboleth?

Now here is the rub: What is meant by humanity? If you say that it has to include flesh and blood - or even physicality - then I strongly disagree. I wrote my reasons for this in the OP.

9. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rather than LOGIC apart from the explicit teaching of scripture, I prefer logic applied to the explicit teaching of scripture. So here is Acts 1 leading up to the Ascension and immediately following.

[Act 1:1-11 NASB] 1 The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach, 2 until the day when He was taken up [to heaven,] after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen. 3 To these He also presented Himself alive after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them over [a period of] forty days and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God. 4 Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," [He said,] "you heard of from Me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
    • An interruption for a brief observation: There is absolutely no doubt that Jesus had a real and physical body from his resurrection up to his ascension. It is also obvious that this body was different from his pre-crucifixion human body.

6 So when they had come together, they were asking Him, saying, "Lord, is it at this time You are restoring the kingdom to Israel?" 7 He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or epochs which the Father has fixed by His own authority; 8 but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."
    • Observation: Jesus is standing and talking to his disciples in his physical post-resurrection body.

9 And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.
    • Observation: After Jesus said these things to his disciples in his physical post-resurrection body, He was "lifted up".
    • It says "He" (Jesus in his physical post-resurrection body) "was lifted up".
    • It does not say "He was transformed".
    • It does say "while they were looking on", so if Jesus was transformed from a physical post-resurrection body to a Spirit Being, they would have seen it and could have recorded it ... but they reported no transformation.
    • It is illogical to assume they saw something of fundamental importance but neglected to mention it.
    • It is logical to assume that they saw the physical post-resurrection body that was standing next to them talking with them "lifted up" since that is exactly what they wrote happened.

10 And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them. 11 They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."
    • Observation: The angelic messengers make no reference to any transformation.
    • The angels affirm that "This Jesus" (the physical post-resurrection body) "has been taken up from you into heaven".
    • Jesus WAS taken (according to the angels).
    • Jesus WAS NOT transformed (the angels make no mention of it).
    • Jesus "will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."
    • Jesus was "lifted up" into a cloud, so Jesus will be "lowered down" from a cloud.
    • Jesus was lifted up in His physical post-resurrection body, so Jesus will be lowered down in His physical post-resurrection body.
    Nothing suggests that Jesus did not ascend in his post-resurrection body and everything suggests that Jesus will return with his post-resurrection body.

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The scripture is clear humanity equals physical. Jesus took on physical humanity for all eternity.

Paul is very clear the physical body that we have will be resurrected just as the physical body Jesus had and has was resurrected.

Our hope for the resurrection is based on the fact that Jesus was resurrected physically and so will we be.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  11. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please think this over. Did the saints in Christ in ages past lose their humanity when they died? Because they surely were not physical after they died.

The irreducible aspect of humanity is not physical. Flesh and blood cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.

Question: Did Moses or David cease to be human when they died? Yes or no.

#31 asterisktom, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  12. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    but the post resurrection body is not the same as what we have while alive. as it is with Jesus

13. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since He has the body of flesh during the ascension, I feel that the burden of proof lays on those saying that body is no more. Maybe this is unfair of me. But our description of Jesus in John's Revelation seem to describe a body.

#33 Rob_BW, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So now you are changing tactics. First you downplayed my logic. Then you present your own logic - with your own set of Scripture. No. I am not playing this game. You brush aside my Scriptures A, B, C, D, E and say "What about Scripture F and G?"

No. First deal with my Scripture honestly and fairly and then we will tackle Acts 1. Can we do that?

15. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, Rob. Could you please pinpoint the verse or verses you have in mind in Revelation?

It is time for bed here. I will get back to this tomorrow.

16. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus' body after His Resurrection was indeed physical. He made it a point to tell the Disciples to touch Him. After which Jesus ascended to heaven. There is no a SINGLE Bible text that says His body changed again, and that somehow His flesh body disappeared in any way. I really cannot understand why you, or anyone else, would spend so much time on such specualtion? The Bible no where warrants such "theology", so why make such a big issue about nothing?

17. ThyWordIsTruth

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is getting quite boring as it has nothing to do with what the Bible actually teaches. Other than someone who has convinced himself about something that is nothing more than speculation about nothing! I have said my last on this, as I don't want to waste more time discussing nothing!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Jesus still in a Human body and form?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He MUST get rid of Jesus having still a physical body, being a full preterist, as we just have a spiritual resurrection now, not a bodily one!

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are saying you will agree Jesus took on humanity forever but only if you can deny the physical aspect of humanity. The resurrected body of Jesus, and ours, are changed or transformed. They are glorified physical bodies, but they are physical.

Paul calls resurrected bodies “spiritual bodies”. If I remember correctly, the word for “body” is “sarx” which means “flesh”. So Paul is combining spiritual and physical in his explanation; affirming both and denying neither in the reality of the resurrection.

Again, this is an old heresy. I think Gnosticism began in the first century denied the humanity of Jesus. It has been rejected for nearly 2000 years.

peace to you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.