1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This saddens me - Mega Church in Springfield MO

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by sdcoyote, Apr 23, 2024.

1. sdcoyote

sdcoyote Member

The church (in total) needs to back away from the world's entertainment to draw people in my opinion.

Seems this particular pastor (John Lindell, James River, a very large AG Church) thought it would be a good idea to to hire a pole dancing, bare chested, sword swallower to kick off a men's conference. Another pastor objected and now it has become big news in this part of the country. Springfield MO is AG country and this just places another road block toward evangelism and discipleship in southwest MO.

Western churches, I believe, are far to eager to adapt pop culture, sociology, politics, or psychiatry instead of the Message of the Bible as its guide.

Pray for this Church and these people. I have friends who attended there and they are appalled.

Pastor John Lindell apologizes for inviting Alex Magala, Mark Driscoll to men’s conference

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Mega Church that's a MEGA MESS!... Brother Glen:eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think inviting Driscoll was a worse mistake than inviting the sword swallower.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We usually can recall several cases where the leadership of our local assembly made poor choices. For example, one church had its building fund stolen by the person entrusted to keep the books. We offered an alternative event on Halloween, where we certainly gave away too much candy, but we stressed in many ways the Good News in age appropriate ways. Some people thought we should not do the event because it seemed support demonic celebration. After a few years, attendance fell off, and we abandoned the outreach. You judge things by their fruits.

I have attended "Men's Retreat" type events where the "draw" was not evangelically effective. Other events resulted better than prayed for results.

In summary, yes the leaders make mistakes, but they are in the battle and I for one think we should cut them some slack.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too. I'd actually like to see a sword swallower.

6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd rather see this!!!... Brother Glen:)

Revelation 1:16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

• Like Like x 2
  7. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At church? How does that glorify God? How does that proclaim Christ and Him crucified.

I went to a “Power Team” (I forget the exact name) revival once at recreation facility. They did interesting feats of strength and briefly mentioned the gospel, but it wasn’t at church.

I think I’d be uncomfortable with something like that at church.

peace to you

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, at church. In the parking lot after service.

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I’m glad they didn’t do it during worship service.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  10. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I got to thinking about this and not to think ill will of the man but what if he choked on the sword and died?:eek:... That would sure send a message... NOT IN MY HOUSE!... Wonder how many converts will be generated by that?... Just a thought... Don't play church, its a house of worship... Brother Glen:)

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a church in Texas (I think) about 25 years ago where the youth minister was trying to demonstrate to the youth how doing drugs (?) was like playing Russian roolet )sp?)

He had a revolver with a blank round and was spinning the chamber, putting it to his temple and pulling the trigger.

He killed himself (with the blank round) in front of a sanctuary full of kids and parents.

He didn’t know blanks send projectiles (gases and small bits of metal) out when discharged

Maybe just stick to preaching in the church, leave the “big show” for somewhere else.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1